CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #11
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I have used the Shot loaded ones and I hated them! The handles were really thin and the ones I used were the largest size and they were simply too big. I could barely hold one at my chest after a clean.
Either get the real thing or just use dumbells. The swing bells (kettlebell handles) are fine for swings and will probably be good enough for the WOD, but if you want to get into kettlebell training and other fun stuff like juggling, get the real thing. They last forever, so despite their expense, I think they are a good investment.

Tyler
Old 01-27-2004, 09:11 PM   #12
Robert Inn

Profile:  
Just a couple of weeks ago I too had some of the same questions about kettlebells. I considered some of the lower cost alternatives. If you do a search there are even plans to make kettlebells out of plumbing. I decided to grit my teeth and go with Dragon Door, and I am glad I did. It is solid (no moving parts), the handle fits my hand properly and it is nicely finished. Like any tool, you get what you pay for. It will last a lifetime and I plan on buying more from Dragon Door.
The recommendation for me (from people who know me) was to get the 16kg (36 lb) kettlebell to start. Your requirements may be different. When you gain experience and strength, there will still be exercises where you could use a lighter kettlebell. Just like dumbbells, it depends on the exercise you are doing. If you are just starting out there is less chance of pulling something with the lighter kettlebell. They do move differently than dumbbells. Like with all lifts, form is important. If you go too heavy your form will suffer from the beginning.
Regards,
Bob
Old 01-28-2004, 05:19 AM   #13
Ryan Hagenbuch

Profile:  
Tyler,
I don't have shot loaded (or any) kettlebells. Where did you get your shot loaded ones from? I'm glad you posted that because I was merely recommending them from what I saw.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:43 AM   #14
Aptdwler

Profile:

I saw a homemade one that used a basketball and pipe for the handle. It might work well. I haven't done a lot experimenting with making them due to lack of ceiling clearance.

The problem with most adjustable ones is you can't do any of the hand to hand type drills.

Balance would be a problem with shot loaded types.

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining
Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 AM   #15
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
I have no problems with the kb juggling with my PDA adjustables. Full disclosure: I have plenty of problem with kb juggling, but it's operator error, not equipment malfunction!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:08 AM   #16
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

I use the homemade pipe, type kettleballs. I have been using them for a long time, and despite not being able to do the H2H drills, they work fine. The plates I have on it are round and smooth, and if your form is good on all the lifts, your forearms will not get banged up (this is the same with the authentic kettleballs as well). As I see it, if your not going to use kettlebells for sport purposes, and they are just a "tool" in training, why spend the money? This is just my opinion. I have considered kettleballs many times, as it would be nice to have a few, but as of right now, my homemade ones are durable, just as safe, and just as effective. Once again, just my opinion.

J.D.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:37 AM   #17
Mark Mueller

Profile:
I found my kettlebells at:

http://www.mymaxtrainer.com/kettlebells.html

Significantly cheaper (about $20). I have found them to be great in quality.