CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-07-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
You guys will either laugh, or totally sympathize with what I am about to say. I am a married + 2 kids guy, and buying new "toys-equipment" means justifying it to the wife. Ouch! So I end up making most of it myself. My home gym is pretty complete, I am missing a Concept II rower, and at $800-900, it will be missing for a while! Here is a short list of the stuff I have actually made up to this point.
Rings: 1" Marine plywood, cut, sanded, epoxied.
Got the plywood as a remnant, total cost
$3.25. They hold my 210lbs just fine.

Parralettes: Followed the linked directions,
Awesome set, total cost $13.50

Kettlebell: Improvised out of black iron pipe
and fittings, use a spinlock DB
Handle from Walmart. Weight is
variable from 25-100lbs.
Total cost w/out weights $22.45

C&J and Snatch pit: In my back yard. Built
platform 4'x6' first. Out
of 2x6 & 4x4. Filled in with
"acquired" beach sand. Works
Great! total cost $21.00

Cheap concrete weights: I used an old flat round
pan with a 2 1/4" piece
pvc super glued in the
middle. I cut up some old
metal 1/8" wire and laid
it in for strength. Cost
per weight: $ not much

200 Meter long hill: Came with the house
Cost: $free
Old 10-07-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Frank, very impressive. A limited budget shouldn't be an excuse to not workout. Here you have proved it need not be. We are wondering how long it will take you to figure out how to make a rower for under 100 bucks!:lame:
Old 10-07-2002, 06:19 PM   #3
brian perlis

Profile:  
I just made a pair of the parallettes this weekend following the linked instructions - it cost me 8$ Very cool!
And if you are really cheap - dont purchase the end caps and you can save 2$. Pretty nifty piece of equipment for 6-8$
I purchased everything at Home depot.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
Coach

Profile:

Frank's dedication and resourcefullness is as inspiring as anything that I've seen this year. Awesome!!

On the subject of parallettes, here is how you keep yourself challenged on these things for years. http://www.american-gymnast.com/tech...titlepage.html

Frank and Brian are pushing the envelope for cost utility efficiency.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:49 AM   #5
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
I have been thinking about the rowing machine, but short of renting a U-haul for $39.00 and stealing the one in the local gym, it just is not going to happen!
A couple of things that I did not mention:
1. Always check the odds and ends boxes at Home Depot first.
2. Make friends with a construction worker/machinist/carpenter.
3. Go to scrap metal/junk yard. They usually sell you pipe/fitting/etc for pennies on the pound. You should see the four man-hole covers I picked up for $11.50. Had a machine ship drill a 2 1/4 inch hole in each one, and voila, 4 70+ pound plates.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:30 AM   #6
Steve Kreis

Profile:  
ROWER FOR FRANK

Frank,

I liked your ideas for the homemade equipment and was also in need of a rower.

Basically, took two huge rubber bands (therabands from a physical therapist) and attached them to a kayak paddle and then attached the other ends to posts (I use the posts from my squat rack), then I place a seat far enough from the post to put tension on the therabands and row/paddle my kayak and then I turn the chair around and paddle in the other direction. To increase the tension shorten the therabands or use the ones that are less pliable (therabands come in several different thicknesses).

To incorporate the legs as in a standard rower, sit on a skateboard and push back with the legs. Put the skate board on carpet to increase control and resistance. You could also use a broom stick or pole instead of the kayak paddle.

Not quite the same, but a cheap alternative.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:46 AM   #7
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Interestingly enough, I bought one of those really crappy rowers at a yard sale, but it has a good sliding seat and foot pads. I got it for $5.00. 2 cheap pulleys and a loading pin later.... I put about 25lbs on it and row away, it forces strict form to keep it from swaying to much. I let you break the ice on the idea though(they're all gonna laugh at me) I like the exer-band idea though, I will give it a try.
I also train grip alot, and I have made about every device for that that you can imagine. If anyone is interested, I will post descriptions and instructions.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:13 AM   #8
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:  
Coach: Thanks for the Parallete link. There are some great exercises there. But I cringed looking at the photo of the guy doing a hand stand on a Parallete made of PVC pipe. PVC pipe isn't meant to handle that kind of load. And it doesn't fail gracefully--it just explodes. Yikes!
Old 10-10-2002, 10:00 AM   #9
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Brian,
Actually the pvc has a fairly thick wall. Combine that with the tubular construction, and a relatively short linear distance, and you get a very stable piece of equipment. I used a fairly thick piece of pipe, and mine are 22" long. I am about 205, my buddy is 230, and we both stood, and bounced on one of mine. No problems at all. You have to remember that they are not subjected to the dynamic movements that a set of competition bars would be.
The design of pipe, a cylinder, is basically a continuously convex surface, and is actually better at resisting external pressure than internal.
Mine are glued everywhere but the top of the T's that make the base, to make them more portable, and they never move at all.
There is always the option of using black iron pipe. Slightly more expensive, and very unforgiving on the body. Not to mention heavy!
Old 10-10-2002, 11:41 AM   #10
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Can someone post the link that leads to instructions on how to build the parallettes. Thanks.