CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
I just received this e-mail from my friend, Bud Jeffries. This is not a joke.
This way beyond me, but maybe some of you are able to take this on. Here's the e-mail
"My Grand for A Grand Challenge

This is an open challenge to anyone in the strength, fitness or just in the regular world. Be the first person to duplicate or beat my 1,000lb bottom position squat and I'll give you $1,000 dollars.

I've debated on sending out this challenge for a while. Got advice from close friends on both directions, but I decided that it was something I wanted to do and something that I would respect of other people. You see I think that if you say you can do something then you ought to have the guts to put something behind it. Similarly if you don't then maybe you should shut up about it. So in the tradition of the old time strongmen, I challenge anybody in the world to duplicate or beat my 1,000lb bottom position squat.

I'll make it very simple. You have to start at parallel, bar sitting on the pins of a rack and using a belt only, stand all the way up with 1,000lbs. I don't care what you weigh. I don't care what kind of plate, bar or rack you use, as long as it adds up to 1,000lbs. I don't care how ugly the lift is as long as nobody else touches you. Before you do the lift take a picture of your starting position from the side and send it to me. We'll arrange for an independent person to witness and verify the starting height and relative authenticity of the plates and that you only use a belt. Then video tape the lift. For now, we'll set a preliminary cut off date of May 1, 2006. That'll give you 16 weeks to start with, more than the length of the average powerlifting cycle.

My only other condition is that you take a drug test and prove that you're lifetime drug free. I know lots of guys who take roids and this is not a personal slap against them, but I do think it is wrong and does discount your lift. Again this is not meant to personally insult anyone, nor is this challenge. But this is my challenge and if you want to take it up you have to play by my rules. That means no drugs and if you do it I'll give you $1,000.00.

When you open up to do something public like post a video of yourself performing a lift, you open up to a great deal of idiotic criticism. That's fine and I expect it. People have variously suggested all kinds of things about me and the lift that I have on my website, because it's easy to say anything about anyone behind a computer screen. One of the things that's been said is that any big time lifter could duplicate the lift with little trouble. Well. here's their chance. If they can I'd be more than happy to see it. I'm even allowing for training time, even though the opinion seems to be among several mouthy critics that they wouldn't need it. Notice I said critics, because I have found almost universally that truly strong, hard training people are respectful and usually quite pleasant.

I'm willing to do something that almost no one else is willing to do. I believe in my training techniques enough that I'm putting money on the line to see if they're the best. Who else is willing to do that?

If as people have suggested that it's no big deal, then it ought to be easy for someone to walk up and take that money. All you gotta make is one lift.

People are going to say all kinds of stuff about this. That's fine. Let me tell you some of why I'm doing this. Because I honestly want to see if anyone else can do it, not to stroke my own ego. Because I think it is the most legitimate way to squat regardless of what anybody else's rules or competitive organization says. Because I don't think competition would legitimize a lift or settle any kind of controversy. Because I want people to see that true drug free heavy lifting DOES exist. Because I also want people to see that you don't have to have on double suits and wraps to squat heavy. Because I don't normally acknowledge critics and I won't acknowledge them on this, but this is my answer.

I hope that someone takes up the challenge. I think it'll be great for real lifting! Even though people have said some pretty nasty stuff about me, this is not intended to be disrespectful towards anyone, but as a challenge to bolster the strength world. Most of you reading this have probably seen the footage of this lift, if not it's on the front page of the website http://strongeman.com.

God bless and hope you all have a great new year.

Bud Jeffries"

I talked with Bud for about an hour by phone the other day. He's a great guy and a real gentleman.
He has a new book out for Martial Artists that is worth reading. I just got my copy.
Have fun,
Frank
CrossFit Gulf Coast

Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Sorry about the wrong URL, it should be
www.strongerman.com
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Wes Peart

Profile:
I don't get the whole BJ challenge. He wants the competitor to do the squat paralell, but in the video, he is nowhere near paralell. Check gripboard.com for the whole story. Right now there is a pot of money by gripboard members for Bud Jefferies if he can do a real 1000 lb squat in a sanctioned competition. Either way, that is a mean squat.

Pic
http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/113...14_144_118.jpg

This guy might have a chance.
http://www.powerofthelion.us/1055RS.mov
Old 01-13-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Oh dear- dueling style challenges. Sigh. While I do like the "put up or shut up" style each one is taking, it's kinda silly. Competition says from the top down, and it's not changing soon. From the bottom might be a good choice for athletes, building starting strength and whatnot, and Westside and Co. split the difference by taking a sec on the box- it's all good. These theoretical arguments amongst high-level but differing athletes are just silly- it's like "which would win- Bruce Lee or a polar bear?" Okay, bad example- Bruce totally has that one locked up.