CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Russell Biser

Profile:
I started crossfit 5 weeks ago and love it. The only problem is that I suck compared to the rest of the posted times and weights. I have to down the weights and sub pullups/dips for muscleups etc.

I will turn 22 on December 30th. My goal is to perform 22 muscleups for my 22nd birthday! I think it would be a pipe dream to say consecutively. So 22 muscleups over the course of a day, triples if I can doubles and singles.

I am wondering wether this is smart but my email address is in my profile. Hassle me if I fail.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Russell Biser

Profile:
Also I suck and handstand pushups. Same challenge for freestanding handstand pushups
Old 10-05-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Ah, k, over the course of a day. Thaaaaat's better. I don't think anyone hear is enough of a hoss to have done 22 consecutive, well, maybe Coach Sommers has some mutant in his secret lab-nasium that can.

Can you do 15-20 consec. ring dips and pullups yet? That's generally the point where you can start working on one. If not, I'd suggest density training, maybe before a WOD once a cycle- double your goal reps, and do a certain number every minute on the minute up to your doubled goal. once you can successfully complete that workout, add one rep to each minute and do your division again to see how many minutes to go for.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:58 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Russell, at five weeks your still sort of new! If you don't have one muscle-up yet, 22 are probably not going to fall! How many pull ups do you have? I would continue to work my form and technique with the muscle up and switch my personal challange to 22 consecutive pull ups...very doable and a lot of crossover to the WOD (not that muscle ups aren't, just harder to master multiples). Now if you were able to do muscle ups already...go for it!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #5
Russell Biser

Profile:
If I am fresh I can do about 10 full range of motion deadhang pullups (I don't know how to kip), then my form starts to suffer, not going all the way down, lifting my knees, not bringing the bar to my chest. I don't have rings yet so I don't know how many ring dips I can do, but doing bar dips I can probably do about 7 or 8 good form ones before I don't go low enough for my upper arms to be horizontal.

Larry I would like to get my consecutive strict deadhang pullups up to 22 but muscleups for my birthday seems like a more motiviating goal. To be able to do something I can't do at all rather than double the number of something I can already do. But if muscleups in 3 months is impossible I have been known to set my sights to high before.

Kalen, I think I must be dense not to understand the density training thing you explained. Do I do a ladder by minutes, or the same number (like my max ~10) every minute until I can't do that many in a minute even with breaking it up?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Naw, you're not dense. I just wrote possibly the worst explanation of density training ever. It goes something like this- you're shooting for 15 pullups. Double that number, so you get thirty, and do, say 2 every minute on the minute for 15 minutes- no breaking sets. If you can't finish, repeat it in a couple days. If you can, up the density- do three on the minute for ten minutes, and then four on the minute for 8 minutes, etc... It's just one way of doing it, but it seems to work.

Or just put a pullup bar in your bathroom, and rep out 8 every time you gotta go. Whatever.

And don't sweat the sucking. I've been at this for some months and I'm only recently getting to the point where I can do the bloody thing RX'd every day. Robb Wolf was a state champion powerlifter and couldn't finish all of them for six months, if I remeber his little testimonial right. And now he's an uber-hoss. So just keep chugging the kool-aid.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
Troy Archie

Profile:
Those are some big goals man, give this a read and a thought.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/Virtuosity.pdf
Old 11-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
Russell Biser

Profile:
25 minutes ago I did my first muscleup on some homemade PVC rings! I think it may have been the ugliest muscleup in history, but I got to the top! I went for a second and only got 75% of the way up but I don't care I couldn't be more stoked.

I am still shooting for 22 strict pullups for my birthday (12/30) and progress on that has been slow, I am up to 12 but keeping the faith that I will make it.

Well off to put a blurb in testimonials, thanks for the guidance and encouragement guys.

Kalen, the kool-aid is great isn't it?

Russ
Old 11-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
Russell Biser

Profile:
Kalen: I finally followed your advice. I got a used pullup and dip station for 50 bucks and stuck it in the middle of my apartment. Everytime I pass it going into the front of my apartment I do 5 dips and everytime I head to the back of my apartment I do 5 pullups. 5 seems to not be enough of a challenge but I thought I would start out easy so that I wouldn't suffer on the WOD. I think I will bump it up to eight like you recommended.

I am still knocking out single muscleups on the rings, but I tried them on the bars and got 2 in a row. Which makes me wonder, aren't bar muscleups supposed to be harder? I am a tall skinny guy (6'4" 175 lbs) if that makes any difference. On the rings the hardest part is keeping the rings close to my body during the transition. Also I seem to pull my legs (almost like an L-sit) up during the muscleup and on pullups when I get tired. Anybody know what I am doing wrong with keeping the rings close, lifting my legs, and being easier on the bar? I figure if it is easier on the bar then my form on the rings must really suck.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Muscle ups on a bar are a bit harder to do for most people. But you can actually rep them a bit easier if you learn how to really kip the bar MU well.