CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hey gang,

I thought we'd start throwing some ideas around for the next challenge. Our last two have involved gymnastic skills, so I'm inclined to do some lifting for the next one. 15 reps of bodyweight OHS or C&J might be good. They both involve overhead stabilization, something which was hopefully improved in the previous challenge.

Just some thoughts,

Ryan
Old 01-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm going to throw out somthing here that may get some opposition, but...what the heck. I'm going to propose somthing what will drastically improve all gymnastics skills and body weight exercises. It will make you look more fit and muscular. It coinsides with many people's goals already. And it will prove Crossfit has the ability to do this. I'm talking about drastically altering body composition. Let's kick around the idea of lowering bodyfat by using Crossfit and the Zone / Paleo. I haven't worked out the details yet but I'm just throwing this out. I think guys getting down to about 5% would be good, but we may want to come up with a certian %age loss. I know this sounds Body for Lifeish, but it has many , many side benifits which directly relate to performance.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Damn! CF and Zone have already done that to me. Went from 25% to 9% BF, 2 pullups to 22.

Okay give me a month or two to get fat again.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Yea, I thought about that too Michael, I'm at about 8% BF. It is a huge (and very hard) leap from 8 - 5% though! I was thinking of possibly a section for adding muscle if your below a benchmark bodyfat level. I just think this would be a good way for CFers who don't focus on diet, as well as they should, to do so. Also there are many benifits to cutting body fat, your Max VO2 even goes up! I'm just throwing this out there and looking for thoughts, we could also do somthing lifting oriented: I think Dan John made a comment that the minimum level of strength one should obtain is Bench Press bodyweight and Deadlift 2X bodyweight. This is another challange which would help with other Crossfit endevors. For the record I could bench a little over 1.5 bodyweight and my deadlift is about 5 - 10 lbs greater than my bench! I know. . .sad! For me I would have to add 95 lbs onto my deadlift to succeed.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
John Phipps

Profile:
My backround is martial arts and weightlifting. Over the years I have studied: boxing, karate, jiu-jitsu, judo and fencing to name a few. I have been weight lifing for years. I have to admit I used to go to the gym and do the bench press and curls just like all the folks I see now and shake my head at. I like the idea of bench press and deadlift challenge. What about my least favorite powerlift, the squat?

How does 1 X bw bench, 1.5 X bw squat and 2 X bw deadlift? Too light? Too mainstream?

Personally I am working on "the bear" in my warm-up. That would help me with my squat which is where I am weakest. I am also working on 30 X bw bench. Right now I am lifting 145lb and only have another 50lb to add to get to bodyweight.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Jason Carey

Profile:
Not to be contrary, but I prefer to think of changes in body composition as a positive side effect of a good fitness program, not an end in itself. I know some people who did BFL, and while they did make noticeable improvements in their appearance (and some aspects of fitness), it often came with some mental "baggage" regarding body image and food obsessions.

Since coming to this board, I've been impressed with the practical and down-to-earth nature of the posters and the program. If I had to sum up my impression, it's not how you look, it's what you can do. For many of us, a side benefit of increasing our capacity to do is an improvement in the way we look. That's great, but I think the focus should be on the activity, not the image...

I'm not in any way suggesting that the benefits Larry mentions are false, or that a change in body composition is not an admirable goal. I just don't like the side effects that image-based competitions seem to bring. Just my $0.02

Bodyweight OHS for reps sounds really good to me. The powerlifting stuff sounds OK too, but the ratios look pretty low compared to what some of the regular posters seem capable of doing now.

JC
Old 01-02-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I'm game for the BW OHS. I have a good PL background so I'd have to chase 3x on squats and DL ...not much fun for me but I'm game for what everyone decides upon.

Robb
Old 01-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I would love to but I don't even have body weight in weights yet. And there is no way my wife will let me buy more now :sad:, at least not till maybe May.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
BW OHS sounds good to me too, good carryover. Glad I have bumperplates and a lifting platform.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #10
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Ever since I read the Dan John article about OHS, I've been holding that 15x BW goal in my head. I think that would be a great challenge.