CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #61
Eric Moffit

Profile:
yup, i do a frog kick and add one beat of dolphin kick at the end. you dont maintain a steady velocity, but i think its a bit faster then with, say, a flutter kick and breaststroke stroke, which would be more steady. as far as arms go, i basically just repeat breaststroke underwater pullouts. starting from streamline position just bring your arms down to each's respective side...make sure your arms are making the skulling/'S' motion as you bring them down...'feel' the water.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #62
Brad Smith

Profile:
I enjoyed reading all of the posts on this thread. I used to swim a lot, although not competitively, but got paranoid about shoulder problems. My family and I go down to Cozumel each summer (it's really cheap from Texas!) and we're scuba divers but the kids and I have gotten into free diving. I'd like to improve my time under water and I guess the way to do that is just to do more of it.

I'm not ready to add my times to the competition but I'd like to hear how y'all are doing now with this... if you're doing at all!

If I go to the pool, it'll mean giving up my WOD for that day.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:57 PM   #63
Eric Moffit

Profile:
you dont have to give up the WOD when you swim...make up your own incorporating swimming!! be creative and if you need some guidance, just type 'swim' into the ol' Search function. this has been brought up a several times in the last few months, so youll find some good stuff.

there was also a thread about hypoxic swims and if they actually increase your ability to swim underwater. i think the general concensus was that they dont really cause any physical adaptions but do allow you to push your mental limits. what you want to do to get better underwater is 1) become a more efficient swimmer (so you use what oxygen you do have more effectively) and 2) increase your lung capacity. one good way to do the latter is to incorporate the Tabata interval into your swimming. for example, although its not exactly 'Tabata', ill do 8 25yd/m freestyle sprints with 10sec rest on each wall. i try to maintain about the same number of strokes per length for each 25 as a sign that im maintaining efficiency and am not just thrashing around. according to Tabata's research, the Tabata interval of 20sec on/10sec off x8 is one of the best ways to increase VO2.

also, i havent been working the hypoxic swims at all lately and havent even swum much because ive been working on my running. fortunately, swimming is my 'thing' and comes back quickly, especially with CrossFit.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:03 AM   #64
Brad Smith

Profile:
Thanks, Eric! I see that you have made this suggestion before... recently! I still need to be clear on exactly what "Tabata" entails but it sounds like HIIT to me. If they've got a place handy for me to hang on to, I may see if I can work in some of those L-pullups in between sets of 8 laps.

BY THE WAY, since you're a swimmer, do you buy into the notion that the water moderates body temp so you don't burn calories/fat as effectively?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #65
Eric Moffit

Profile:
actually, i made the suggestion in this post first and then decided to throw it in the 'Tabata' post.

theres been a lot of Tabata talk in the past so make sure you use your Search function liberally. for a great description of Tabata, check out Jonathan's post in this thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/2479.html

as for the calories, i never really thought about whether or not i was burning calories efficiently...i just swam. the swimmers ive known have been pretty trim, though, despite eating a lot...and that includes me even in my pre-Zone days. whether or not we were burning calories effectively i dont know. whether or not we were burning calories, i do know...we were burning lots of them.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 PM   #66
Brad Smith

Profile:
My second time back in the pool in several years, I did 6 laps underwater with fins today. It was about all I could do to make each lap but they actually got easier after the first couple. I plan on working on this some more. When I was a kid (MANY years ago), I used to swim underwater all the time and could go end to end in our neighborhood pool (must have been 50 meters) but it ain't there now!:angry:

Oh well, nothing to do but keep workin' on it!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #67
Eric Moffit

Profile:
oh man, that reminds me of my childhood. we did a few hypoxic-style games. one was just holding your breath. take a big one, go down, and hold yourself under with the ladder. another one was swimming the width (~10-15ft) as many times as possible on one breath. and, of course, theres jail where it pays to be able to stay under as long as possible. little did i know those 'games' would become my 'workouts'.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:55 PM   #68
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Ah childhood! My fave was playing sharks and minnows. Underwater swimming and breath-holding gets much tougher fighting to stay under while others are trying to pull you to the surface! :crazy:

Brad you must have been one helluva fish to swim 50M underwater!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:59 PM   #69
andrea nitz

Profile:  
I can still swim the length of an olympic size pool under water. One of the very few things I can still do from my younger days. I was on the swim team for years, and that was one of the workouts my coach made us do. I'm sure that it helps my lung capacity now!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:56 PM   #70
Brad Smith

Profile:
Veronica,

When I was going through the YMCA swimming levels as a kid (minnow, tadpole... and whatever used to follow), I was ahead of my age group. We had to do an underwater swim as far as we could go in a lake from a platform. I jumped off and just kept going until I came out on the shore. They were all freakin out and looking for me within 50 ft of the platform but I was much farther away. Ah, my glory days and I didn't even know it at the time... and don't have any of it left now. :-(

Reality is a harsh master!