CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
Brad Williams

Profile:

I work at a gym that is pretty much the "anti-crossfit" gym. Not to say that the employees and owners wouldn't think that the program rocks. I think that they just find that there seems to be more revenue with the 3000 square feet of machines type facility. It is part of a chain: there are no squat racks, no bench and definately no olympic bars. I am continually subbing exercises for the WOD's and often I do my workouts with some buddy's at a nearby army base, outdoors or at another gym.
THere are quite a few of athletes who train at this gym and they just all seem to be stuck on the old two and three day split routines. I am always talking to people about changing their programs to more suit there needs and even mention crossfit to those who I think would actually understand(accept) the concepts behind it. I have had limited success. I have trained alot of the guys and have thrown in many crossfit type workouts. Everyone has loved them. I tell them to check out the site but before I know it they are back to their old routines. I do the WOD almost daily. Last night someone told me that I use my legs too much when I do pull ups. I just finished a set of 30. Instead of trying to explain the theory of kipping vs strict pull ups I suggested that he try to match my set in any style of pull up that he could muster. His response was to walk away in the other direction.
......Wow, this is a long post-sorry...my point is this, I want to set up a fitness challenge at my gym. I am thinkig about the following challenges to represent all around fitness:

Men(no age or weight categories)
All challenges must be completed within 7 days of one another.
5k run in under 20 minutes
2000 meter row in under 7 minutes
20 pull ups with any grip
60 push ups(chest must touch tennis ball and elbows must fully extend on the up phase)
45 second L-hold

Women
5k run in under 22 mins
8 minute 2000 meter row
35 push ups (elbows bend just past 90 degrees)
12 strict pull ups any grip
20 second l-hold

What do people think?
Is it too easy? Are both genders going to be challenged well or should I think about some serious changes?

THanks for all of your guys info.
It is some of the best out there.
Hopefully this will get the crossfit ball rolling.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Eric Moffit

Profile:
this thought has crossed my mind as well. however, i was thinking more along the lines of a CrossFit competition. something like the Annual CrossFit Championship at CF North or even like the Painstorms. basically, anyone who wants to shows up and competes in a head-on-head, WOD-style workout. as for the style of each competition (maybe held monthly), chippers would work great or maybe grinders. a strongman-style or max lift one might work well, too. oh, and no one can know what the workout will be beforehand. everyone finds out when they get there.

an example might be:

standing long jumps for a total distance of 100ft
80 pushups
sandbag drag 100ft
40 sandbag thrusters
bear crawl 100ft
40 pullups
crab walk 100ft
80 situps
run 100ft

something like that. any movement is fair game and it can be quick like a sprint or a long, painful beast of a workout. great equipment isnt necessary, either, as long as youre creative.

the only problem is i think i would scare people away. oh well, i think ill run this by my boss again today.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Brad: These seem like a pretty fine set of challenges to represent all around fitness, and, with no Olympic lifting of KB work, no one's going to be able to complain about it requiring too much technique. It'd would be nice to include something more purely explosive (like Oly lifting), though.

Do you envision putting this out there as a near-term challenge? ("Who can stay with me?") Or more as setting these out there as middle- and long-term goals to shoot for? ("Who can build up to these goals over 3 - 6 months?")

I'm going to completely embarass myself when I say this, but those might be too hard . . . certainly, they are too hard for most "untrained" (i.e., not CrossFit-trained) folks.

Actually, what I'm trying to avoid admitting is that I would really struggle with all of them.

5K under 20 minutes . . . well, maybe. That would be a very good time for me, but I might be able to do it.

2K row under 7 minutes, well, that's a 1:45 for 500 m, 4 times in a row . . . out of my reach right now (maybe could do 7:20 or 7:30, but I'd be sucking wind something fierce)

20 pullups (in a row, no drop off, I assume) . . . NOT (I'm about 14 - 16 on good day)

60 pushups (again, out of my reach right now)

45-second L-hold . . . I'm up to about 20.

So, if you want to show people something about how great you are compared to them (I'm assuming you can do them all?), these will do the trick . . . there won't be many (any?) non-CrossFitters who can do them with you. A few who want what you've got may decide to try to train like you, but most will just say "it's too hard" and walk away.

If you put them out there as targets to be reached with diligent work, it may get more of them motivated. To enhance that, you might need to give them progressions on each one . . . intermediate stages to work for on each challenge.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #4
Brad Williams

Profile:

David,
Good points.
No I do not intend on putting these challenges out there as a "can you keep up with me" challenge.
Mt intention is to motivate and set off a spark amongst some folks who have the potential to reach a much higher level of fitness than they currently are.
I intend to post the challenges on the gym wall and hopefully people will see them as something to really aspire towards. If someone completes all of them within 7 days of one another the gym has offered up a free t-shrt. Most people who train there will see these as impossible but some will definately be turned on.

I want the challenges to be difficult. Hopefully people will put the time in and train for this type of fitness as opposed to being "one trick pony's" so to speak. And yes I could have mentioned there is also a series of progressions to the final list that I previously posted. It will be divided into gold, silver and bronze categories or at least something along those lines. There will be no rewards for the silver and bronze standards though.

The reason there is no oly component is simply due to the technical involvement with the lifts; plus no oly bars. I would love to include kettlebells but I have never even seen one in this province so forget the gym I work in.

There a couple of guys and girls who are currently going to be very close to getting a lot of these completed. For these folks I am merely hoping to motivate them to jump to the next level. For the rest, I think that the lack of "all around" fitness will halt them from getting through it.
THe way I see it is that, if I can do this stuff then most other people also have the ability to train themselves to be able to do it as well. I am by no means genetically gifted and do not consider myslef to be in phenominal shape(crossfit is helping though). In saying that I will not personally be involved with the competition. My name may be attached as the organizer but that will be about it. As it stands right now I have at some point in the last 8 weeks completed everything but the L sit. My last attempt wasw 32 seconds. I have not attempted the entire list within seven days. I will definately be plugging away at it on my own though.
If anyone else feels like knocking this stuff off pleae do....and please let me know about it. I am curious to see how crossfitters will get along with it.
I have not finalized the list yet and I am still open for suggestions.

Thanks