CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #41
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Richard
I hope I can add my name to your list.
I did this challenge at work tonight, with one of the guys timing me.
My time was 4:42
I would fit into Coach Rutmans "strong like bull" category
6'1", around 255lbs.
I'm about as far as you can get from being an "elite" crossfitter, this just happened to play on my strengths. I'll be the first to admit, there was little technical grace in my cleans. It was simply fire the weight up, into a rack position. The only time I let go of the bar, was to do the push-ups. I was able to do all 10 power cleans,and 15 push-ups, in less than 40 seconds, for all 5 cycles. So this left me a few seconds to catch my breath, and shake out. Having a bench mark for myself now, I know I could beat 4:42
Old 05-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #42
Bo Blakemore

Profile:

I thought Steve Cotter posted a time of 4:15, didn't see his name on your list.bb
Old 05-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #43
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
just finished

4:58

and I wouldn't consider myself a CF 'Allstar'. I did get to use my bumpers so I wasn't worried about letting the weights hit down pretty hard.

BW: 195,
HT: 6' 4",

I am good with 135 power cleans for some reason. Although the last set had to have looked pretty funny.

Bo - I don't think he included him on the list because he isn't a 'regular' yet (he hasn't been around here very long).

Still an AMAZING time - You too Steveo! Maybe I would do better if my name was 'Steve' as well.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #44
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
JJ
I know its not an official "Crossfit" workout, but I think I'll be doing it regularly as a benchmark. Afterwards, It felt like a solid Tabata workout.
Great time Jeremy, and great pic!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #45
Richard Owen

Profile:

Wow!

Graham may have understood the situation better than I. Maybe I've under estimated the average CF'er.
Or more likely - maybe I'm subconsciously attempting to keep the definition of "average" inside a range that I can still personally claim to be in. I've never broken 7 minutes.

Well in any case, its another clear pointer to CF as a superior method for building over all fitness.

OK - so here it is (in my humble opinion):
anyone under 9 minutes is in pretty decent shape.
anyone under 5 minutes is a bad-*** (in my book).
anyone under 4 minutes... well...uh.. there's no one under 4 minutes.

"4 minutes" sits out there... waiting for a Roger Bannister to come along.

Stackpole - posting a 4:42 at 255lbs is killer! Yeah, I'd love a little friendly competition with you and Jay on this ... but it would have to measure "most improved"!

Bo - I was just going with Graham's comment about Cotter not counting as a regular CF'er at this point. Thats why I didn't list his time.

At our gym we're calling this workout the "Push-Pull", and someone from our gym is going to be the next Roger Bannister of the Push-Pull.

I'll report back when it happens.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #46
Bo Blakemore

Profile:

I figured that was the case too but then why did you list Bozman? It was his first post as well.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:35 AM   #47
Jay Ashman

Profile:
I'm all about the competition here guys...

I'll be doing this once a week for about 3 months... every week I will post my time. :-)

Game on!
Old 05-21-2005, 02:02 AM   #48
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Richard, thanks for taking the time to go into more detail. As you can see CrossFitters are too diverse for labels like 'average CrossFitter'. Depending on the challenge rankings will switch around, sometimes dramaticallly.

The work you are doing here is fantastic! Spread the love, it inspires and motivates all of us!

Bo, Steve Cotter obviously came to the dance with super fitness derived from his kettlebell training and maybe others, but he said this was his second CrossFit workout. Adrian had said he'd been lurking for a few months, I don't know if this was his first or not, I assumed he'd been doing it for a while....I don't think it's that important though.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #49
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Steveo-

Rock star time. At 255, I would have enjoyed having you lead me around the edge on the Green Bay sweep.

I remember my first telephone conversation with Lauren. I heard this horrible animal noise in the background. When I ask who was having their hands driven into a pole, she mentioned a c&j with bodyweight for 10 reps.

I know the Ethan Reeves has a wrestlers workout with c&j. The next fitness challenge?

RUTMAN
Old 05-21-2005, 06:10 AM   #50
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Depending on the challenge rankings will switch around, sometimes dramaticallly.

Very well said Graham. If you were to change the 15 push-ups to 15 pull-ups, my time would be much slower. At the same time though, If I was to increase the weight to 150lbs instead of the 135lbs, while still keeping the push-ups, I'm confident I could still come in under 5 minutes.
Funny though, I never saw my size as a limiting factor in the challenge. Quite the opposite in fact. I think its more impressive that Jay, who is a full 50lbs lighter, can still pull in a time under 5 minutes. To me, thats 50lbs less available to him, to power this 135lb weight to his chest.
I guess I'm just not quite sure why my size, should automatically disqualify from being fast on this exercise. Coach Rutman, or anybody, if you could explain it, Id appreciate it.

The Green Bay sweep!! :-) Perhaps if I had grown up in small town U.S.A, and not small town Canada. Around here, its all about hockey.