CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-09-2003, 01:53 PM   #11
Coach

Profile:

Dirk,

First of all let me apologize for taking so long to get back to you!

The combination of practicing the test regularly – once a week or so – combined with the WOD will serve you very well for this test.

The CrossFit contention is that a properly structured general physical preparedness program can substantially improve ones performance at every and any task. The CrossFit regimen has been strikingly successful at improving athletes’ performance at activities for which they’ve little or no training. This is the lesson that Derek (Florida Police Corps) and Ken (Colorado Police Corps) have learned in seeing improvements in distance running scores after substituting distance running efforts for CrossFit’s WOD. (Just this morning we had two non-rowers row a 6:41 and a 6:49 2K – a formidable time, especially for non-rowers.)

There’s a limit to this carryover effect but the limits occur near the margins of elite specialized performance where substantial improvements are only possible through increased focus that most certainly diminishes total capacity.

Keep me posted!
Old 07-01-2003, 04:48 PM   #12
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
some corrections on the firefighter combat challenge course. the tower is 5 stories, the hosepack you carry up 451bs. the hose roll hoisted up the five story tower is 55-601bs with the rope. the "obstacle course" is 140 feet and the charged line is 75 feet. the dummy is, indeed, 175 and you do drag him 100 feet to the finish. at 5'9", 162 and 47 yrs old i am able to achieve sub 3 minute times consistently. yes, you do wear full bunker gear and are on air. also, do not confuse the combat challenge with the firefighter challenge which is a 69 story climb in seattle in march, on air with one change out at the 40th floor. am hoping the crossfit routines will help me bust a 2'30" time in the future. be cool. dale.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:51 PM   #13
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
one more correction re firefighter combat challenge; the steel beam is 165 lbs and the hammer is 9.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:54 AM   #14
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Guys,

I wish we had something like the challenges you have over in England. I am upset at the lack of interest in the physical training side of things that My sevice has. No matter what we will always have to rescue people from burning buildings etc and for that you need to be 'Crossfit'

If I am ever over there I would be interested in doing some of your challenges. I have alot of family in Sacremento, Californa is anybody near there.

Thanks Matt Cullen.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:17 PM   #15
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
cullen, the firefighter combat challenge is in anaheim, aug. 2, '03.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:49 PM   #16
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
I'm a new poster here, and I haven't done the firefighter challenges, but our physical test is one of the toughest around. We drag a 135# truck tire attached to a 90# hose bundle 200 ft in under 52 seconds. We also have to go up and down five flights of stairs ( with staight-aways) with a 90# hose bundle in under 1 min 10 seconds.
I train with KBs for the most part. Maybe do 30 seconds of front squats with 2 KBs to simulate the stair climb. Then do alternating bent-over rows with 2 KBs (hold in top position) for 20 seconds, then snatches for 30 seconds, to build up arms and shoulders for sledgehammer, then swings for 45 seconds, then sumo-deadlift 2 KBs for 45 seconds (maybe partials) to simulate to body carry.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:22 AM   #17
Kelly Moore

Profile:
These tests sound outstandingly tough...do you pull the tire with rope around the waist or a harness? And what surface do you pull on? Sorry about the silly questions, but I've never seen any of these events on TV.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #18
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
fireman, sounds cool. as a relatively fit 47 m firefighter who adventure races, the firefighter combat challenge is the most rigourous physical test i have ever done. the five tasks are followed one by the other. my best is a 2:52, sub 3 mn being the first mark to hit. i weigh 162 at 5'9". the dummy is 175. would record is 1:19. go try it. you will like it.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:39 PM   #19
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
kelly, espn airs the firefighter combat challenge. your best bet is to try to get to a regional. espn shows only the top dogs. these guys make it look easy. to truly appreciate how tough it is need to watch the women and smaller males get thru the event. people regularly drop out.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:46 AM   #20
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Thanks Dale, I'll look into it.