CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-14-2003, 09:54 PM   #1
Dirk Stadey

Profile:  
Hi: I have found your web site and message board extremely informative although somewhat overwhelming to a newbie. I would like to compete in an upcoming fire fighter competiton. Would the wod be for me? Any recommendations would be greatly apprieciated. thanks fbs.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
You bet it would. Just hit them hard. Push yourself and you won't regret it.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:59 AM   #3
Mark Cain

Profile:

Dirk. are you still here? how did you do in the firefit comp?
Old 02-14-2003, 04:09 PM   #4
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Hi Dirk,

Are you based in the UK. Iam a firefighter at a place in Birchwood about 20 mins from Manchester. Which Firefighter comp are you doing? I wanted to do the London one but apparently they are only excepting entrys from London Fire Brigade. Would be alot better if they named it Britains fittest Fire-fighter. Think London guys are scared of the competition.

Cheers Matt. Cullen
Old 02-27-2003, 03:32 PM   #5
Dirk Stadey

Profile:  
I'm based in ThunderBay, Canada, just north of Duluth Minnesota. This comp happens in June. I believe this comp will be open to all firefighters and there will be divisions for age and ranks. As a 45 year old I have no illusions but I still want to compete and do the very best I can.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:25 PM   #6
Mark Cain

Profile:

hello dirk, i competed and trained a couple of people for the atlantic canada championships here a number of years ago. that was fun!
Old 03-05-2003, 08:11 AM   #7
Dirk Stadey

Profile:  
Mark; I have attempted the wod, running @80% max 30mins 4-5 times per week and a small circuit of weighted movements which simulate the course. I find the wod tough and I can't always complete it. I am not familiar with all the exercises and do not have access to all the equipment.Any info or tips on training for this would be greatly apprieciated.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:00 AM   #8
Mark Cain

Profile:

send me a note to markcain@hotmail.com. i will get back to you at your email address. cheers! mark
Old 03-13-2003, 05:38 PM   #9
Coach

Profile:

Dirk,

I'd really like to hear the details of your competition.

I don't know why we've had so little impact in the firefighting community?! Our police and military friends have been devastatingly dominant in OC (obstacle course), adventure racing, TCA (toughest cop alive) and SWAT Olympics. I, humbly suggest, and I think we've proven, that we've no peer in this domain.

Thanks and welcome to the board!

Coach
Old 04-01-2003, 08:49 AM   #10
Dirk Stadey

Profile:  
Coach; I sent a post on the 14th,I guess it didn't go through. The competition is the same as the ones on ESPN. Climb a tower 4 storeys with all your turnout gear and scba with a hose pack, total weight about 90lbs. Haul a hose pack up the outside of the tower by rope - 45lbs. Run down the tower to a device where you drive a steel beam - 65lbs, with a 8lbs sledge hammer 5 feet. Run a obstacle course -50ft. Drag a 11/2" loaded hose line 50' and knock down a target. Finish by dragging a 175lb. victim 100ft. to the finish line. I believe the wr for this course is 1min. 17 sec. Trying to run up stairs two at a time for 4 storeys with an extra 90 lbs. leaves my legs screaming. Just lifting weights or running is not enough, training at high heart rates with heavy loads seems to be the way. I was looking at mma fighters' workouts and found your site. Your workouts are killer and from what I've read they are based on sound research. Your workouts seem to me to be the best for firefighters and I imagine it will only be a matter of time.
Dirk