CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-21-2003, 09:23 AM   #1
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Hey folks. Watch NBC Sports this weekend to see some insane examples of strength to weight ratio. The world gymnastics championships was this week in Anaheim. The USA did extreemly well. We're actually putting out some pretty strong teams.

Women's Team Finals, 2-4 p.m. (ET), Aug. 23
Men's Competition, 2-4 p.m. (ET), Aug. 24
Women's All-Around, 7-8 p.m. (ET), Aug. 24

Old 10-09-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
John McCracken

Profile:
In case you missed it, here's one more chance to watch the World Championships. This time it will be on ESPN.

Oct. 26 – ESPN2 – 2:30-4:00 p.m. ET (MAG/WAG Individual Event Finals and Team & AA highlights)
Dec. 15 – ESPN – 11:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m. ET (WAG Individual Event Final)
Dec. 22 – ESPN – 11:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m. ET (WAG Individual Event Final)
Dec. 28 – ESPN – 5:50-7:00 p.m. ET (MAG/WAG Individual Event Finals and Team & AA highlights

(copied and pasted from http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/events/tv-calendar.html)
Old 12-29-2003, 10:50 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Did anyone catch the action last night? Wow! They showed 5 ring sets and 4 floor routines and all of 3-5 from all of the women's events. It was absolutely incredible to see what those guys are doing on rings. Iron cross, pull to inverted cross, drop to maltese, etc, etc. Jordan Jovtchev tied with Dimosthenis Tampakos on rings, but the crowd and the announcers all thought Jovtchev was the clear winner. I'm not sure what the judges saw that I didn't, but Tampakos didn't even stick his landing.
On the floor, Jovtchev tied with Paul Hamm. But all of the routines they showed were spectacular. A Canadian guy named Kyle Shewfelt did some great tumbling and the young Brazillian guy Diego Hypolito was awesome as well. They were both doing passes that just boggle my mind. Their body sense and air awareness is just amazing. And Jovtchev's flair sequence on the floor was just amazing. I would love to see him do some breakdancing:-) Paul Hamm shared the gold with Jovtchev and he was very clean. He won the all-around competition, so he had quite a week last August.
I have a friend in my gymnastics club that used to compete against the Hamm twins and beat them. It goes to show how far perserverence and good coaching can take you.
The women were great too. The 4'9, 78 lbs Chinese girl that won on beam was tiny, but she was like a machine. I bet she has spent half her waking life on that beam;-)

Tyler