CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-18-2003, 01:52 PM   #1
David Werner

Profile:
Nick Nibler - the other half of CrossFit North - threw a Hail Mary this weekend and entered an Olympic weightlifting competition. The "Bad Mother" meet in La Conner, Washington.

He won his weight class and set a state record.

Of course He was the only entry in his weight class, but this doesn't make him any more humble!

Seriously, congratulations Nick

Dave
Old 08-18-2003, 02:41 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
That's excellent! 4-for-6!

Regale us with some stories! What and who exactly is "The Hanger Weightlifting Club"?

Nick, come on down to San Diego sometime and you and I can do battle in the +40 Skinny Old Farts Division. Unfortunately, I'm five years younger and I may never lift in the 77s again, so we can't exactly lift head-to-head in the same division, but we can pretend!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:01 AM   #3
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
Lincoln,
Thanks, it was great and I'm now hooked on competitive weightlifting. Next time I'll have to take the adrenaline into account though. I nearly took my head off with the bar and ended up power snatching.
The Hangar WLC (aka CrossFit North) is the product of our belief in the value of the O lifts. Some have referred to it as an obsession, but it seems perfectly natural to us. Moreover, we think those sad people suffer from an inability to focus properly.
So, Dave and I teach weightlifting to nearly everyone who walks in the door. After a month or so, we'll move them into the WOD. Our hope is that enough people will stay interested in O lifting to build a good solid team over the years. The great thing right now is that some very good lifters in the area are begining to stop by and share their knowledge, very cool.
A trip to SD is something we have been talking about, maybe early next year. Might as well time it with a meet. Got any recommendations? Are you going to make it up next month when Coach, Lauren and the gang come up for the CrossFit Challenge?

Nick
Old 08-19-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The two best meets in San Diego are the California State Games and the California State Championships, which is held every other year in San Diego. Usually these are held in the summer. Next year's State Championships might be held in Sacramento, not sure yet. Best bet is to contact Mike Burgener [mikeburgener@mac.com] or Pat Cullen-Carroll [pcc@ivic.net] for dates and locations. Mike is the 'head coach' around here, Pat is the president of the Southern California L.W.C.

Doubt I'm traveling anywhere next month, but what's the info on the Challenge? Date, location, etc.?
Old 08-20-2003, 06:40 AM   #5
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
Lincoln,
The date for the challenge is Septmeber 13 and it will be here in Seattle at CFN. There will be a seminar/forum with Coach in the morning and then a little friendly competition in the afternoon.
3 rounds of;
400 meter sprint
21 KB swings
12 pull-ups
fastest time wins

Thanks, I get ahold of Mike.
Nick
Old 08-20-2003, 01:43 PM   #6
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I'm jealous. I need to move out to the coast. I would love to be able to meet some of these athletes and try my hand at competition.... Best of luck to all and send some pictures!