CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Who wants to get a one arm chin? A final big push for that remarkable strength feat.

Here is what I'm thinking. List your weight and your current chinning ability, then we all aim for a one arm chin by the end of the year.

I am 115 lbs. and I have done one chin up weighted with a 60 lb. person. The chin up bar isn't optimal and I have no good way of weighting chin ups with barbell plates so I could probably pull more, I just have no confirmation of that.

Approx. 45-50 lbs. to go

If you are not close enough to the one arm chin to try this, make the push anyways and try to get close.

So who wants to try this?
Old 07-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
I'm in. It's one of my goals since I switched to Parkour as my main focus from gymnastics.

Currently I'm 5'8" at 130-135 lbs. I pulled 6x3 for 75 lbs on weighted pullups last Friday, and I'm doing one arm work almost everyday.

I have 2 more weeks in my mesocycle and then an off week. I'll keep updating, but hopefully I can make a good push up to that rest week so I come back uber-strong. :-) I'm doing this in conjunction with aiming for the last CF challenge... so hopefully I can hit both goals at the same time, lol.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Hope you get that HSPU challenge - I'm not gonna be there for a long time.

I am training one arm comedowns right now. I have done them with fifteen pounds before but currently I am dealing with much lower weight and doing fewer reps (virtually none but with a high emphasis on slow speed) on more days. Comedowns are the best way for me to train right now because of my less than optimal weighted pull up situation.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
Nice.

Right now with my training I'm doing bodyweight one arm comedowns (sets of 3) with a bit of work on straddle front lever pullups and assisted one arm pullups on the side.

I'm only hitting the weighted pullups once a week, but my numbers are skyrocketing from the stuff I've been doing during the week. Here's my progress so far with them:

4 weeks ago Fri: 4x3 50 lbs
3 weels ago Fri: 6x3 55 lbs
2 weeks ago Fri: 5x3 70 lbs
Last Fri: 6x3 75 lbs

I got that HUGE increase because I started doing everyday one arm work that week it went from 55-70. Pretty good progress so far... I hope to hit 80/85 lbs this week on Fri.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Sounds like some major neurological strength gains there.

I have also decided not to go on a weight gain program yet. With something as demanding as a one arm chin, I am not sure I want to be adding pounds quite yet.

Okay fine, I also don't feel like scarfing down all that food (that is hard).

So, who else? You all know you want to get in on this.

Oh, and something else I should mention. Anyone who wants to try this should probably read the one arm pull up articles on beastskills.com and dragondoor.com. Many of you probably already have, just trying to help.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
David Aguasca

Profile:
, i'm in, guys.

my stats so far:

weight: 148lbs
weighted pullup 1RM: +100lbs

i can hold one-arm 90 degree lockoffs with both arms for 5-6 seconds each, but my right is definitely stronger....so, i can do the one-arm comedowns, but not at the same volume as steven : )

steven, are those weighted PUs on rings?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
Nah, they're on a 1.5" diameter bar I think (at primal fitness). It's pretty freakin' thick since my hands are small. Rings pullups with weight are definitely a bit harder although I haven't tried those.

Looks like you may be ahead of us though based on your 1 RM weighted pullups since you're above 2/3rds your weight. I might test 1 RM on Friday to see how close I am.

(Message edited by braindx on July 16, 2007)
Old 07-16-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Hey David when I saw this post I imme thougght of you and then saw your name as i scrolled down. Your incredible! get some and get some more!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Welcome in, David. Looks like 45-50 lbs. is pretty consistant.

I have never really been able to do fast comedowns. I don't time them and simply go down as slow as I reasonably can. Timed ones seem too fast, too relenting. I want to battle my muscles and if I have to surrender my concentric pull, I still refuse to simply fall off the bar.

I noticed that with this method, however, I lost strength at the end of the pull. I came up with one solution to this whereby I would do the eccentrics slow, but one half at a time. I'll tell you, though, the bottom is near impossible to control.

I guess I am going to have to do this without ever knowing my absolute chinning strength. Unless there is some tree limb that won't break while I do weighted chins hanging from it. And the trees around my house don't like me too terribly. Maybe a really short tree limb. :g:

(Message edited by Benedict on July 16, 2007)
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
David Aguasca

Profile:
only problem is, i can't seriously work on increasing strength right now. i work 50hrs/week as a carpenter, so getting elbow tendonitis is very easy....i'll be trying to maintain what strength i have until i leave for school, in 6 weeks.

that's my chin-up 1RM. when i was doing triples on pull-ups, i was only pulling 50 lbs, and it was pretty hard. i haven't tested my pull-up 1RM, but i'm thinking there's a big discrepancy between my pull-up and chin-up.