CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
In Practical Programming for Strength Training, Rippetoe advocates a 3 day/week workout schedule for novices because he believes recovery/adaptation is best with the 48 hour break b/w workouts.

So if I followed that program on Monday, Wednesday, Friday what kind of workouts could I do on the days in between? I would like to mix in some ring work, rowing, and general skills practice (handstands etc). If i were to do a bunch of ring pushups and pullups on the days between strenght training would that have a negative impact on my recovery? What about martial arts workouts on the off days?

I would be willing to sacrifice some recovery to get in some more workouts per week, but I do not want to end up canceling out the gains I make while strengthtraining.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
If you want to make the gains stated in that program. Do that program. If you don't, don't.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to WODs
Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Martin Schap

Profile:
Stefan
The answer to your question somewhat depends on your current level of strength. As you yourself state, this is Rippetoe's program for novices. If you are new to strength training, then I would do that program and nothing else. If, on the other hand you have some background in this, then maybe you can gradually add in some HIIT, martial arts or whatever. Bottom line though, it's very hard to give advice without knowing your background.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Adam Acosta

Profile:
I've been doing a program of Crossfit WOD/Starting Strength/Crossfit WOD/Rest cycling between workout A and workout B, with some of the accessory work now and then since I've progressed over a few months. It results in me only doing two starting strength workouts a week, rather than three, which might slow my gains, but that's fine with me, since I'm not looking to just gain strength, but want the benefits gained from Crossfit as well. I'm still adding weight every workout as you should be, so it's working even if it works slower.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I think at first you should commit to just doing SS and nothing else. If you get into a groove with it, you might want to do a hybrid of the crossfit beginner program and run 400m repeats on Tues & Thurs.

If you play a sport you should continue to do that.

If you add workouts and you find that your SS program is suffering then you should back off and try to maximize your recovery between SS workouts.

The SS program gets pretty tough and I have found that recovery is really crucial between the workouts. I have managed to add some WODs in between, but it's a tough balance.

If you are committed to doing more than the SS program, you should consider doing an ME Black Box program variation. Basically you follow the standard CF 3 days on 1 day off protocol, do WODs on days 1 & 3 and day 2 do a maximal lifting effort. A variation of the SS workout would be good for the ME day.

If it's just a matter of skill work, you might just want to make a small warmup or cooldown routine that involves your skills and do it before or after every workout.

(Message edited by musashi on April 24, 2007)