CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
I've had to drop the WoD for the last two weeks while resting an injured shoulder. On my doctor's instructions, I have to do no upper body exercises.

So, I've been doing:
- 5k runs;
- 3 rounds for time 400m sprints, 30 back extensions;
- 3 rounds for time 400m sprints, 30 sit ups; and
- 10 rounds for time 250m sprints, 25 squats.

But I'm keen to find some others. For the first time in years, I felt some knee pain this morning. Seems like all the running is taking its toll.

Tomorrow, I'm thinking of doing 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 back squat. Can't see that aggravating my shoulder at all.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
Matt,
Surprisingly, you might want to look at something other than back squats. Not knowing the injury to your shoulder, I would say that once you get under the bar, the outward rotation of the shoulders to place the bar on your traps will aggravate them.... What about front squats or lunges?
Old 02-18-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Matt, how bad is the injured shoulder?

If the knee is complaining a bit from the running, could you maybe inject a little rowing into your program. If it tolerates it happily, normal rowing, but possibly legs only ( this will really get you to focus on maximising your leg drive).

Also, legs only swimming with and without fins or running in the pool (hit up Fiona for more info on this, I am sure she mentioned doing it in another thread a while back)

For variety, how about some box jumps, walking lunges, broad jumps etc. Also, jump on an unpowered treadmill, grab the front rail and push like you are jump-starting a car. Build up speed - a whole lot of posterior chain action without anywhere near as much impact. Cycling too!

Without knowing anything about the injured wing, can't comment on upper body stuff but do you think it would handle some PVC pipe O-lift work? Maybe the broomstick mile?

Anyways, hope some of this helps.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
I'd start right off by quitting jumping reverse spinning crecent kicks.:lol:
Good ideas Kempie. Matt can you use your other arm? If you have a sled you might try some sled pulling and dragging.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm with you. Like an idiot, I injured my shoulder 3 weeks before going to the CF seminar. Been working through it, and the pain is minor now. All the suggestions are good, just want to tell you, I feel your pain!
Old 02-20-2006, 02:37 AM   #6
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Thanks everyone. There's some great suggestions in there.

Today I had the all clear from my doctor. That is, nothing broken, just torn scar tissue from a collar bone that I broke ten years ago.

You have no idea how depressing it is to be reading everyone's comments on the WoD when you haven't been able to participate. I was thoroughly depressed when it first occurred thinking that my bone had refractured. Thankfully, it was just a flesh wound.

Angie's looking damn tempting tomorrow, but I should approach her with a bit of caution I think.

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Great news Matt, ease back in and enjoy having all four limbs to play with
Old 02-20-2006, 08:25 AM   #8
Greg Kemp

Profile:
I still have my athletes train with their good arm if they have a shoulder or hand problem. There is some carryover bi-laterally (not a lot, but some). I have them do 1 arm snatch or clean and jerks. 1 arm DB Bench press. 1 arm military press. Then I have them do their rehab with our athletic trainer on the body part injured. We do squat but we have the bar with the U in the middle that take the pressure off of the shoulder. Althought for your case I would be doing air squats mixed with some jumping and incline running to maintain strength.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #9
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Ah, incline running, why didn't I think of that?

And I used to do it a lot before CF.

Anyway, so far so good. Did Angie in 15.07 although got back home and read Coach's comments about not splitting them up. It's great to back into CF, I can tell you.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
John Vernon

Profile:
No one mentioned one-legged squats?! I've got an athlete with a broken thumb who is has been getting a real "leg up" on the rest of the team, ohhh man...I'm a dork. I agree with Greg's POV on having an athlete use the good limb to perform exercises. I like 1-arm DB OH squats (used them today actually), turkish get-ups, 1-arm DB bench, etc.