CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-28-2005, 03:17 AM   #1
Kris Crowley

Profile:
20 minutes of as many rounds of:

5 L-pull-ups

5 one-arm pushups right arm then left arm*

10 OHS squats 75#.

* I took my free arm and placed it on a medicine ball. The further away that arm is from your body, the less it works. It is only for stabilization. I got that idea from Steve Maxwell's DVD for Kettlebell exercises.

I got 6 rounds on this one. It was pretty cool.

Do any of y'all like it?

-Kris
Old 09-28-2005, 05:49 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
That idea for assisted 1 arm pushups is pretty clever!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Nic Nakis

Profile:

The amount of "WOD"-type variants is infinite. Keep coming up with them. Creativity rules.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to the WOD section.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Kris, on my MySpace CrossFit group, we have a thread specifically dedicated to this very thought. There are quite a few of us who do not have the time or equipment to follow the WOD, and a couple of them just plain don't want to, but still want to follow the CrossFit protocol. Believe me, this is not hard.

Since beginning to train my guys here at Texas A&M, and just practicing creating good workouts and then experimenting with them, I'm able to come up with 1-4 great workouts in less than a minute, and then go out and execute them. I've almost made it a point now not to plan my workouts, and at random days pull some from the current week's WOD.

Here are just some random ones I pulled from the thread I mentioned.

20 reps db snatch per arm with 45 lb. db
1000m row
15 reps per arm
750m
10 reps per arm
500m
5 reps per arm
250m

5 rounds for time, resting exactly one minute in between rounds:
2 minute bearcrawl
30 pushups
2 minute bearcrawl
10 tuck sit pullups
2 minute bearcrawl
20 weighted squats

Farmers Walk
KB Clean and Jerk - 24k each hand.
Farmers Walk
Sumo Deadlift High Pull - 45k bar
Farmers Walk
Bear Crawls
Farmers Walk
Lunges - unweighted
All farmers walks are 400meters with 32k in each hand. Each Excercise is done for 3 minutes long as many reps as possible.

"Jessica"
3 rounds for time:
5 2x1.5pood kb (or 2x55lb db) Thrusters
10 185lb Deadlift
15 Burpees
20 Pullups

PS - Great idea! I've seen that one-armed pushup variation before, and teach it as a progression to a real OAPU, using kettlebells or dumbbells instead of a medicine ball. Steve Maxwell is an amazing source for great workouts whom I've used quite a bit.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:59 AM   #6
Kris Crowley

Profile:
Here is where I'm going to show my ignorance.

What exactly is the Crossfit Protocol? Honestly, I just show up on the website and do the workout, or make suitable substitutes.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #7
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Kris,

CrossFit Protocol = Consistently doing varied, if not randomized, functional movements executed at a high intensity.

If anyone's got a better definition of "the CrossFit Protocol", by all means share it.

Many people here follow that without doing the WOD religiously. Is it recommended? Sort of and not really. One of the big points of CrossFit is scalability, meaning that you should not try to deviate too far from the WOD, and learn to generate consistency before intensity. You'll also hear a lot of people say "Do X CrossFit WODs before you judge the program and try to alter it" where X is the number of WODs that can keep you busy for a few weeks weeks or several months. Like I also said, though, some people (like me) literally just do not have (or for whatever reason do not make) the time to get to a gym or have all of the equipment necessary in their room/park/wherever, so we either pick various workouts from the archives, get some from other websites and adjust them for high intensity, or just make up our own.

That being said, there is a whole lot you can do with just a kettlebell and a place to do pullups and dips in a park. A whole lot.

Personally, my company's slogan is Intense, Varied, Functional, Fun. That's what I think both exercise and life should be (that, and it's simple and easy to remember!). If the guys and girls I'm training and training with are not getting all four of these in their workouts, someone is doing something wrong, and usually it's me. Obviously, safety comes before the rest of these, but that should be a given.

I don't think there's anything wrong with following the WOD religiously, or just doing things your own way and then comparing yourself to other CrossFitters (or whoever else you want to) using some of the benchmark workouts, or just doing whatever the heck you want to and hanging out here while engaging everyone here in great discussion and learning as best you can about fitness. If it works for you, do it.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
Russ Greene

Profile:

Crossfit Myspace represent!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
Brian Nesmith

Profile:
Try this if you're able to do more 'advanced' bodyweight exercises:

'Corinne'
5 muscle-ups
10 abdominal rollouts from standing
10 one-leg squats finishing with a one-leg calf raise/alternating.

5 rounds for time.

The roll-outs can be performed with an ab wheel or a oly bar with a couple of plates on it. The roll outs can also be done from the knees.

I thought this one up with the premise of 'hey, how can i hit every major muscle hard but with the fewest possible exercises?' I've run it a few times and its pretty fun. Works just about everything too.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I put together bodyweight workouts for my site www.va-parkour.com

Most of the people who are checking in don't have access to equipment, or don't have time to make it to gyms. I try and stick to the "random, intense, blurring the line between strength and endurance" aspect of the crossfit protocol. I still feel that you are missing a LOT without the olympic lifts, so I still do the crossfit WOD also. I also suggest it to anybody that has access to the equipment.

www.va-fitness.blogspot.com