CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-13-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Well, today's WOD demonstrated one thing: I cannot hold an L-sit. Not for more than about 2 seconds anyway. Is there a substitute or a good way to work up to the exercise?

Hanging leg raises come to mind. Is there a better way?

--Paul
Old 09-14-2004, 03:30 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Doing an L from the hang is a good idea, also try a tuck sit. Same as an L sit but with bent legs, gradually straighten them out.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
My 2 cents:
Get some parallettes, push up handles or yoga blocks
Then sit cross legged (knees bent and ankles crossed) with your hands on the supports right by your hips.
Start by pressing down with your hands and your heels and straightening your arms as you lift just your butt off the floor.

Do a few reps of these to build your arms (like cheating dips). Then as your arms are straight and butt is lifted. Curl your knees into your chest to lift the feet off the floor. (You're half way there!) Your back should be straight up and down (perpendicular to the floor and right between your arms and the knees should be drawing up closer to your chest. Hold these for as long as you can. Maybe this is your L-Sit substitution.

Eventually to work the legs straight... I would lift up with knees bent keep your ankles crossed and begin to squeeze your legs straight. As you squeeze the knees and inner thighs together the feet shoot out in front of you. Eventually work to uncrossing the ankles and keeping the legs together just using your adductors.

You can also play with keeping the hips lifted and slowly drawing the knees into the chest and then straightening the legs, then bending, then straightening. One breath in, one breath out.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Rick Worthington

Profile:

You can stack some bumper plates if you don't have parallettes and follow Keith's program - which I think is great advice. I find doing the L-Hang is not nearly as demanding on the lower abs as the L-sit - even the modified one with bent knees. You can even do it on the end of a bench a lift yourself from a seated position with knees at 90 degrees.