CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Michael Johnson

Profile:  
I'm substituting dumbbell presses for handstand push-ups for tomorrows WOD. What's the recommended weight to use? A weight that's around a 3-5 rep max, 5-8 max, or 8-12 rep max?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Michael,

Welcome to Crossfit.

Out of the choices you proposed, I'd go with the last one (8-12 rep max weight). It will allow you to complete the WOD more smoothly and besides taxing your muscles will also benefit your metabolic conditioning more. Given the 21-15-9 rep scheme of Diane, you'll presumably still have to utilize time management and partition some sets.

The other rep schemes would work your strength more, but the pace of the workout would suffer. It might be hard, but it wouldn't be FAST AND HARD. For Diane, I think fast and hard is what we're looking for.

Regardless of the rep scheme you ultimately choose, make sure you don't involve the legs in the presses. For Crossfit, isolation of muscle groups is normally the exception, but we're trying to imitate the stimulus of a HSPU as closely as possible in this case.

Hope this helps,

Ryan Atkins
Old 09-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
Michael Johnson

Profile:  
Ryan,
Thanks for your response. I'm training in another hour and was hoping I'd hear something before I started. Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
I progressed from being unable to do a hspu to doing multiple sets of 3-5 by simply assuming the position and pushing against the floor. it took 3 months of this before i completed my first hspu. my personal experience is the weights just don't quite teach your muscles and neural pathways what to expect. you look pretty silly upside down with a bright red face but the payoff is great.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Max J Sanchez

Profile:
Re: Weight to substitute for Handstand Push-up

I know this is an old post but can you elaborate on what you mean by assume the position? Like did you get into the handstand?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Joe Barto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S. Jansen View Post
I progressed from being unable to do a hspu to doing multiple sets of 3-5 by simply assuming the position and pushing against the floor. it took 3 months of this before i completed my first hspu. my personal experience is the weights just don't quite teach your muscles and neural pathways what to expect. you look pretty silly upside down with a bright red face but the payoff is great.
Thats how I am doing it.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It takes a strict overhead press of about 55-65% of your BW to be able to do a Handstand to Headstand to Handstand pushup or HeSPU.

It takes about 75-90% of your BW to do a HSPU against the wall on parallettes with full ROM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
It takes a strict overhead press of about 55-65% of your BW to be able to do a Handstand to Headstand to Handstand pushup or HeSPU.

It takes about 75-90% of your BW to do a HSPU against the wall on parallettes with full ROM.
Blair,

Thanks for posting this info. I had wondered about the correlation and we did not discuss it specifically at the gymnastics cert. Building my parallettes this weekend.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I was really bored last summer ( aka out of work ) so I played around with the percentage of BW at different inclinations of a pushup from inclined to decline by measuring the amount of pressure the scale showed at each position. There is an old thread about it.

I measured stomach to wall HS as well as a general pushup and a pushup with the hands at 45 degrees above the feet ( on a table ) and at increments in between at 15-30 degrees. There is some variance between body types as other people chimed in. It's also been brought up on the forum before and debated much and I asked my friends who I know can do free HSPU on floor, parallettes and compared it to how much they could press and sought out data by other crossfitters like Anthony B and looked at Kelly Moore's workoutlog and measurements.

I also measured the ROM of a HS>HeSPU vs an overhead press in inches and divided it. This ratio would of course vary between individuals due to anthropometry. It's not quite exact as you have to press out of the starting point but it seems to jive based on some numbers of extrapolating how reps I could do with an OHP compared to how many HSPU or HeSPU I could do.

Yes...I have no life.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Yes...I have no life.

Blair,

Yes, you do have a life.......you are spending a lot of it helping guys like myself who are learning and still a bit inexperienced with all there is to learn......

I actually tried a few wall-supported HPSUs today - - they were definitely NOT full ROM (no parallettes), but I could do them nonetheless. All your computations make sense - - one increases the angle from vertical and you add a horizontal component, dropping the weight the shoulders/arms have to support.