CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
John Rivera

Profile:  
Maybe this is a stupid question, but when a person says what weight he lfits, or a WOD says what weight to use, does that include the barbell?

Also, there are two kinds of barbells - those ones that weigh 45 lbs, and those that weigh 25 lbs. What's the difference (besides the obvious)? Are they used for specific exercises? What are they called?

Sorry for the super-n00b questions!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
John - the weight is the total weight that you are moving so if you have a standard 45 lb Olympic bar with a pair of 45's on it, you are pushing 135 pounds.

There are waaay more than 2 kinds of barbells. The standard Olympic bar is 45 pounds and their is a woman's bar that is slightly lighter and with a slightly smaller bar diameter...don't have one of those. I do have a pair of Alumalite bars that each weigh 15 pounds and they are lighter in allow for a weaker person to lift or to allow for development of the more difficult lifts. My overhead squat is so weak that I need to build up from broomstick to empty bar and a 45 pound empty bar would not allow me to do the lift properly. The 15 pound bar provides for that interim weight. As does my Ultralite bar that weighs 30 pounds. (All from BFS (Bigger Faster Stronger) by the way.

As to specific exercises...you would not take your 15 pound Alumalite bar and load it heavy for a set of deadlifts. It is not designed for heavy loads. The black BFS Super bar I have (they also make a zinc one if you like your bars to sparkle) is great for the Olympic lifts because it is fairly lively...whatever that means. I'm not strong enough or skilled enough to bring my bars to life. They kill me. Anyway, there are stiffer bars that the powerlifters like and that will better tolerate really heavy loads.

Great. Now grab a bar and get to work.

eug
Old 10-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
the women's competition bar is roughly 33lbs. I love mine. Mostly cause of the diameter fitting my grip.