CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #111
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Mile run at the track yesterday = 6:27

I ran with my coach so that she could pace me. We were aiming for 1:30 splits with the intention of me running the last 200m all out if I could get that far. First 400m was easy. Second 400m is when my breathing started to go. She said, "Relax your breathing." It helped for maybe 10 seconds. We were at 3:05 at 800m. The third 400m is when I started feeling the 5 x 5 front squats from the day before, and in my mind, it was already over. The final 400m was basically a desperate attempt not to just give up and walk because I knew we were way off pace, and I didn't care because I hate to run anyway.

Whatever. However, I look at that, it is a huge PR. I've never done a mile at the track, but I have done a mile on a flat course. As far as I can tell, my last flat mile was on 7/5/09 = 8:51. My last mile was 5/5/10 on our hill course at the gym = 7:08. And, c'mon, the whole world knows that my first mile was 11:00 on a FLAT course in April of last year. So, from 11:00 to 6:27. I'd say that's progress.

My coach wants me to be sub 6:00 by the end of the year, and that is totally realistic. When I go sub 6:00, I shall officially kick myself out of the tortoise to hare club.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #112
Ted Apollo
Member Ted Apollo is offline
 
Ted Apollo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Poway  CA
Posts: 1,697
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

so i have been hitting the pavement again for the past 6 weeks & i have to say that my system is feeling pretty good. haven't had any compartment syndrome problems & feet, ankles, knees, hips, etc.... feel good.

i have been doing alot of interval work to recondition my legs for longer runs. mostly tabata, but i have mixed in some ladder runs also. i have also been riding my bike again which i know helps me on my runs.

if everything goes as scheduled i am going to hit the track up in the next few weeks for a mile time.
__________________
m/36/6'/285/bf 31.9% - old workout log , xfit workout log ,and hybrid workout log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #113
Matt Haxmeier
Member Matt Haxmeier is offline
 
Matt Haxmeier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arvada  CO
Posts: 1,619
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
so i have been hitting the pavement again for the past 6 weeks & i have to say that my system is feeling pretty good. haven't had any compartment syndrome problems & feet, ankles, knees, hips, etc.... feel good.
Glad to hear that.

I haven't done much running lately due to an unrelated injury. But earlier this summer when I was down closer to sea level (Iowa) I ran a 7:26 mile (194lbs) which was only a hair slower than my 7:21 the season before (181lbs).

I did try an all out 400m run two weeks ago and ended up with a 1:15 which was a PR by 4 seconds. I started off very fast but felt like crazylegs at the end. So I definitely need more practice to maintain speed and control at the end.

I also had a 3:18 800m at the beginning of a WOD. That may seem pretty slow to folks but I'm pretty sure it's faster than I ran 800m in high school when I was in track. So it was a win for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #114
Jordan Riley McClintock
Member Jordan Riley McClintock is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cambridge  ON Canada
Posts: 98
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Has anyone here considered an ultra? I am hoping to do a 50 mile trail race in the next year or so, and was wondering if anyone else had thought of doing something like that too!
__________________
There's always money in the banana stand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #115
Ted Apollo
Member Ted Apollo is offline
 
Ted Apollo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Poway  CA
Posts: 1,697
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Riley McClintock View Post
Has anyone here considered an ultra? I am hoping to do a 50 mile trail race in the next year or so, and was wondering if anyone else had thought of doing something like that too!

that's awesome! i thought of it. love the idea of the challenge, but i want to try a half marathon sometime next year first. maybe in a couple years my body will be in condition to try an ultra.
__________________
m/36/6'/285/bf 31.9% - old workout log , xfit workout log ,and hybrid workout log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #116
Ted Apollo
Member Ted Apollo is offline
 
Ted Apollo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Poway  CA
Posts: 1,697
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Glad to hear that.

I haven't done much running lately due to an unrelated injury. But earlier this summer when I was down closer to sea level (Iowa) I ran a 7:26 mile (194lbs) which was only a hair slower than my 7:21 the season before (181lbs).

I did try an all out 400m run two weeks ago and ended up with a 1:15 which was a PR by 4 seconds. I started off very fast but felt like crazylegs at the end. So I definitely need more practice to maintain speed and control at the end.

I also had a 3:18 800m at the beginning of a WOD. That may seem pretty slow to folks but I'm pretty sure it's faster than I ran 800m in high school when I was in track. So it was a win for me.

sounds good! if you put a little more emphasis on the running i bet you would start putting up some big pr's
__________________
m/36/6'/285/bf 31.9% - old workout log , xfit workout log ,and hybrid workout log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #117
Ted Apollo
Member Ted Apollo is offline
 
Ted Apollo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Poway  CA
Posts: 1,697
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

i did a 'minute ladder' run yesterday. (1:00on/1:00off,1:00on/:50of,1:00on/:40off,1:00on/:30off,1:00on/:20off,1:00on/:10off,1:00on/:20off,1:00on/:30off,1:00on/:40off,1:00on/:50off,1:00on...)

distance was just over a mile. legs felt really good which is a great sign. i'm going to continue to do interval work this week.
__________________
m/36/6'/285/bf 31.9% - old workout log , xfit workout log ,and hybrid workout log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #118
Meghan Reid
Member Meghan Reid is offline
 
Meghan Reid's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,475
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
i did a 'minute ladder' run yesterday. (1:00on/1:00off,1:00on/:50of,1:00on/:40off,1:00on/:30off,1:00on/:20off,1:00on/:10off,1:00on/:20off,1:00on/:30off,1:00on/:40off,1:00on/:50off,1:00on...)

distance was just over a mile. legs felt really good which is a great sign. i'm going to continue to do interval work this week.
Are you supposed to go all out on the "on" portions of this? Or do you pace yourself?
__________________
Strength is more than just the number of plates on the bar. It is everything that is overcome with each lift. - Liz Edmonds My log (WFS).
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #119
Ted Apollo
Member Ted Apollo is offline
 
Ted Apollo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Poway  CA
Posts: 1,697
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Are you supposed to go all out on the "on" portions of this? Or do you pace yourself?

on cf endurance they call for an 'all out effort'. i don't believe they mean sprinting. i was probably at about 75%-85% on this run. i had a good pace but didn't tank myself each round.
__________________
m/36/6'/285/bf 31.9% - old workout log , xfit workout log ,and hybrid workout log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! Amber Mathwig Nutrition 753 09-26-2011 04:13 PM
Support group for Meat-eaters? No need... Kevin Daigle Stuff and Nonsense 7 07-04-2009 10:08 PM
Grain Support Group (hahaha.. sorry guys I had to) Rob Forgione Nutrition 8 03-01-2009 04:26 PM
I'm a little slow... Jesse R james Starting 3 07-29-2008 10:08 AM
I'm slow! How to get faster Scott Spencer Fitness 12 04-16-2008 05:16 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.