CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
Vic McQuaide

Profile:
Upside of all of the X fit changes?

We know so much about the down version of the competitive side of X fit?

What about the upside? Media roots are growing. More and more athletes are sharing workouts and tips.

The Journal set makes me laugh with the Al Bunch couch.

Anything else?

Over under for amount of open sign ups. Last year was like 400k?

I would think that they are going to go down a bit. Maybe 350 or less.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 02-05-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Upside of all of the X fit changes?

Looking at what they have done with the focus not being competition but heath I expect the numbers to drop and by 20-25% thatís 80-100 000 people.

Why would they encourage people to be a part of The Open when the focus is clearly not the competitiveness according to Glassman. The games is not the main goal anymore.

They should not be pushing for people to be a part of the Open because that will be contradictory compared to the new goal of CFHQ.

But for a lot of people the games is the goal, the games is their income, their ticket into 100% focus without the need to work in the near future, their sponsorship form different companies, their chance to travel and live off CF.

In reality no matter what Glassman says the games is the key focus and what the general public wants to see. Now that we have no regionals we have to rely on the crappy coverage from sanctioned events. I know that I wonít waste my time looking for this coverageÖ Iíll get 4 or 5 good days coverage for the games on YouTube I hope.

I only compete in The Open for fun to put myself under pressure for those few weeks. I compete with myself and from the open I will find my weak spots that I can focus on the coming year. Of course I want to get a better result than last year, this is a measurement of progression for me.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Its really hard to believe that they would not want to communicate to those 15,000 boxes. Give a heads up type of thing.

Two years ago we had 9 boxes in our area. Now we have 6. One of those 6 left downsized from 10k sf to 3k sf. 1 other box I don't know how they stay in business.

Wonder what % of boxes make a go at making some real money?

Gym merging would be a good idea if the two owners could get along and had space. Not too much added to the overhead/expenses.

I was watching some CFHQ programs last night (from the past) you don't realize what you have till its gone. The road to the games, the invitational, open leader board.. could go on.

I signed up with Floelite.. the coverage is C at best. That is 30 bucks a month. Only to provide access to the WZA for my mom at home and to review my workouts.

Large comps like the WZA. I have to tell you that the stands on Saturday and Sunday were near capacity for the masters. Maybe the games will be able to mix the masters in with the crowds.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

I was looking at the numbers on the leaderboard and they are low...
just over 100,000 men and 80,000 women that's only 180k with a few days to go Before the start.

just over 9,000 for the men 45-49 compared to last year 16,850
just over 4,850 for the men 50-54 compared to last year 8,350

i guess it will be interesting to see the actual numbers on tuesday morning next week once week 1 is over.

Not looking good at the moment and no video's with any information or inspiration for crossfitters.......
Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Def. non media blitz. I was watching the road to the games on TV last night. Guess you don't know what you got until its gone. Maybe in a few years X fit might be bigger on a global scale. But for right now it could be on the down bubble.

I was watching Armin Hammer and he was talking about the changes. Saying crossfit employing only crossfit media was propaganda. So they want to outsource the coverage. Same for the regionals going to companies to host them. And eventually the games will be outsourced to a city who will bid to host the games like the olympics do or the Super Bowl.

I can see this broad picture. I sure hope the master get picked up also.