CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Alex Chaney

Profile:
Close Grip Bench and Normal are the same

I'm 15, 5'8 and weigh at 140 and my cgbp and bp 1RMs are both 170. Is this normal? I would think my normal grip would be much stronger. If this is a problem, any solutions to raise my normal grip?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Close Grip Bench and Normal are the same

Usually you can get more out of your "normal grip." How narrow do you go and how wide is your normal grip?

Also, how much do you tuck your elbows on your "normal grip." CG will have a more natural tuck/keeping the elbows on your side. If on the normal you are tucking too much, you're almost forcing an unnatural path with a wider grip.

Overall, I'd worry more about getting both numbers up than how close they are right now.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

EMG data shows close grip bench illicits greater activation from the triceps and pectoral. The further away from that close grip you go the less activated and range of motion that is used, thus you should be pressing more. Your height and arm length can be playing into what kin of leverages benefit you most. If you really want you standard grip to go up, use it more but I wouldn't force it if you are seeing success any how.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Usually you can get more out of your "normal grip." How narrow do you go and how wide is your normal grip?

Also, how much do you tuck your elbows on your "normal grip." CG will have a more natural tuck/keeping the elbows on your side. If on the normal you are tucking too much, you're almost forcing an unnatural path with a wider grip.

Overall, I'd worry more about getting both numbers up than how close they are right now.
CGBP is shoulder width when arms are extended while normal is a couple inches wider. I don't tuck too much but I still tuck moderately.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
EMG data shows close grip bench illicits greater activation from the triceps and pectoral. The further away from that close grip you go the less activated and range of motion that is used, thus you should be pressing more. Your height and arm length can be playing into what kin of leverages benefit you most. If you really want you standard grip to go up, use it more but I wouldn't force it if you are seeing success any how.
I have long arms and I have to go through a longer ROM than most people but I'll still train both grips.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Play with a wider grip and see what happens. I have always done better (long arms) with my index finger touching the outside of the ring. I train closer because I know I am eliciting higher activation, but go wide when I want to attempt a PR.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Agreeing with Bill, if you have really long arms you might need to go wider than what most would consider a normal grip. Just keep an eye on how the wider grip effects your shoulders.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

at your age, weight, and strength, don't stress over it. you are off to a good start. keep lifting heavy things.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Play with a wider grip and see what happens. I have always done better (long arms) with my index finger touching the outside of the ring. I train closer because I know I am eliciting higher activation, but go wide when I want to attempt a PR.
I'll mix up the grips and still try to make progress. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Chad Ashton

Profile:

There's a LOT of technique to benching as well. If you are just laying on the bench trying to push up the barbell, you'll never have a "big" bench...for those that care about that.