CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Alana Frustaci

Profile:
Drama at boxes

Considering its a tight knit community, how do you avoid the drama? Yes, you go in, workout and leave, but you all know that isn't how it really goes.

This one gets hurt, this one thinks your talking about them...etc. I hear this goes on at every box. Is this true?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Drama at boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana Frustaci View Post
Considering its a tight knit community, how do you avoid the drama? Yes, you go in, workout and leave, but you all know that isn't how it really goes.

This one gets hurt, this one thinks your talking about them...etc. I hear this goes on at every box. Is this true?
This goes on all over all of life, not just the gym. It's part of being human and having emotions - a person can't possibly like everybody. I think trying to force everybody to mesh perfectly would actually make the problem worse.

Also, remember - people are coming for a gym membership and a workout and are adults, yes, relationships are built, but this isn't school, work or an organized sports team, it's not the gym owners responsibility nor really an efficient use of their time to worry terribly much about drama unless it is upsetting the business.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Drama at boxes

I agree with Jeff, there is ALWAYS drama with relationships, at least any relationship that gets any deeper than surface level.

But I also want to add that the relative amount of drama in a gym is DIRECTLY reflective on the personality of the affiliate owner or whoever the present authority figure is (could be a head trainer or manager if the affiliate owner is just a business owner and not IN the gym).

Just like any semi-organized group of people. The group tends to take on the personality of the leadership (at least when they are together).

So if you want less drama in a CF gym, you need to be less drama-filled if you are in leadership.

I am super laid-back, to a fault to a certain extent, I operate on Hawaii time not New York time. But with that comes an atmosphere that comes from my personality directly by the policies and the things I stress and indirectly just from me interacting with the members on a daily basis, that is congruent with who I am.