CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
Matthew Campato

Profile:
Re: My one year crossfit and paleo results

Dang man. Awesome job brother. I have been at this for 5 months now and too have completely jumped on the wagon and downed the kool-aid. A couple questions for you. First when you eat paleo do you eat until you are completely satisfied or is it still an eyeball thing kinda zone-ish? Also any cheat days if so what does it look like? Oh and how do you work the fat intake? How much? Are you on a lower carb paleo? Would love to look like that and perform like a monster at my one year mark. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
Ryan Polak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Campato View Post
Dang man. Awesome job brother. I have been at this for 5 months now and too have completely jumped on the wagon and downed the kool-aid. A couple questions for you. First when you eat paleo do you eat until you are completely satisfied or is it still an eyeball thing kinda zone-ish? Also any cheat days if so what does it look like? Oh and how do you work the fat intake? How much? Are you on a lower carb paleo? Would love to look like that and perform like a monster at my one year mark. Thanks for sharing.
I did a rough job of counting calories after a while. But soon I was satisfied after each meal, especially if the meal was fairly high in fat. Cheat days happened, it's tough to get through life without them, but I had to eliminate them the last few months. I found towards the end that if I had a high gluten day, it would take almost a full week for my weight to recover. If I did take in a lot of carbs the day before, I would try to work out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning to try and deplete my glycogen stores.

My fat intake was definitely high, but the only reason that I would monitor it would be for total calorie intake. There are differing opinions on this, but I believe that the only way to lose weight is to either run a caloric deficiency or lose water. So it was most important for me to get all of my protein first, and then get enough fat. The other important part of my fat intake was increasing my omega 3 to 6 ratio. This meant fish oil pills, omega 3 eggs, canola oil as opposed to olive oil, and eating more fish. In land locked Edmonton, in the middle of world-class beef country, we eat a lot of red meat. It took some adjusting to up my fish content. Adjusting and money, as fresh fish costs a ton up here.

I was definitely low carb on my paleo. After the first couple of months my weight loss stalled so I eliminated fruits. I got my carbs in the form of veggies. Towards the end I eliminated high carb (relative term, I know) veggies. I gave myself almost a full year because, first I needed it, and it takes a long time to fine tune your diet. Everyone is a little different.

The biggest mistake I made on this diet, from a health perspective was I ate too much animal fat. The results were still there, but I ate a lot of cuts of meat that were high in fat. It was funny this last year as people scoffed that I wouldn't lose the weight when I talked about bacon for breakfast, or they watched me eating chicken skins. The reason it was funny was that most of these people are trapped in old ways of thinking. They put mass on years ago, they believe fat is evil, and their bodies broke down around them, but they still believe in the system that put them where they are. They believe that if they just really commit to low fat diet and isolation movements in a 90 minute long workout, that they can get back. Even as the rest of the guys were preparing for the calendar, they thought I was crazy taking in that much fat leading up to it. But fat is your friend, it's high GI carbs and gluten that's your enemy.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Great job dude! Very inspiring post..

Of course, if I had told my wife I was going to lose a pound for every one she gained while pregnant, she would have blown a gasket!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
Steven Matheson

Profile:

You were clearly a very strong man before CrossFit, no? Just covered in a layer of fat.

How tall are you?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Ryan Polak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Matheson View Post
You were clearly a very strong man before CrossFit, no? Just covered in a layer of fat.

How tall are you?
I had spent years lifting heavy weights before, I was well built 7-8 years ago, and kept lifting with inconsistency, maintaining some strength and size. So the muscle mass was there previously, but, yes, covered in many layers of fat.

I'm 6'.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gayton View Post
Great job dude! Very inspiring post..

Of course, if I had told my wife I was going to lose a pound for every one she gained while pregnant, she would have blown a gasket!
No kidding. I think I would have a hard time following such a diet, because I couldn't get my wife on board. I don't know how you managed it when she was pregnant.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #17
Chris Worden

Profile:

Ryan, I'm embarrassed to be asking this question, but do you have a 'before' photo with the shirt off? It might give a better look at how drastic your transformation was/is.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Ryan Polak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Worden View Post
Ryan, I'm embarrassed to be asking this question, but do you have a 'before' photo with the shirt off? It might give a better look at how drastic your transformation was/is.
I'll take a look, but I doubt it, as I was pretty self-conscious the last 5 years, and probably wouldn't have allow it to happen. I'll see what I can find.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Polak View Post
I'll take a look, but I doubt it, as I was pretty self-conscious the last 5 years, and probably wouldn't have allow it to happen. I'll see what I can find.
Ryan - No worries - I found one..

WFS

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...L/HT-G0001.jpg
Old 07-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #20
Ryan Polak

Profile:

Thanks. That was from when I lacked the confidence to shave all my hair off. I had a "classic horse-shoe pattern" forming.