CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
Chris Rebmann

Profile:
Unhappy Eating bad on the weekends...

I hate that I do great with my diet during the week and then I end up blowing it off on the weekend. I feel like I drop my mental focus for some odd reason. Does anyone else have this problem? I ate a bunch of crap yesterday and I feel like crap today because of it. What do you to stay focused on the weekend?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Re: Eating bad on the weekends...

This does happen to me too, sometimes. Depends on the weekend - that is, if it involves a lot of social time like going out with friends, visiting or travelling, then temptation usually skyrockets and it's much harder to control what you eat.

Since the harshest solution (stop socializing) is a stupid idea, you're left with figuring out how best to maintain control without the benefit of your highly structured workday. Some things I've found help:

- try to maintain SOME structure in the weekdays, as much as you can anyway, by scheduling workouts, meals, etc
- if you're going to be going out with friends and you can get away with it, have a big, homemade meal before you go. You'll be less susceptible to temptation and can order something small and responsible, telling people you ate recently so aren't that hungry.
- if you're falling off the wagon at home, simply remove temptation there. If you don't bring any crap home from the store, you can't eat it.

There's a couple things I do, anyway. Hope that helps.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

I eat "bad" far too often...especially on the weekends, so I can relate.

This weekend, though, I had an eye-opener. I went to a local beer festival and pretty much just accepted the fact that I'd be drinking too much and eating pure crap, mostly in the name of "socializing." I ran into some local CFers and was somewhat surprised to see that they had brought a bag of cherries, some nuts, and beef jerky to snack on in between brews. Wow...that was smart. It made me feel way more guilty snacking on my brats and ice cream, that's for sure. Sure, it's still not perfect, but I took a great lesson out of it - minimize the pain. It's better than going hog wild. Next time, I'll certainly think ahead. Planning is key.

Another example - I just moved to a new area and have lots of friends visiting for weekend trips over the summer. I've decided that instead of eating out (where I enjoy WAY too much food...), I'm going to be a good host and cook as many fancy meals as possible for my guests. This way I can control the quality and selection much better.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I'm right there with ya, my weekend "nutrition" is deplorable. I do keep with my workout schedule, and when possible I eat a good meal. Sunday is a recovery day, and then it's Tuesday before I feel sharp again. I really gotta knock at least SOME of that off...
Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
I ran into some local CFers and was somewhat surprised to see that they had brought a bag of cherries, some nuts, and beef jerky to snack on in between brews.
not to get too far off topic, but i know a bunch of people who went. who did you run into?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

First rule of life is LIVE. You only get one go at this game. My fiancee and I "socialize" on the weekends with several groups of friends. Mountainbikers mostly. There's usually beer and a deck somewhere in that equation. I accept it. After riding, I had a shrimp salad wrap, and subbed out fresh steamed asparagus for the french fries. Couple of beers too. It was delicious. Don't regret it a bit.
Next weekend is camping with another couple.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

If it bothers you, there's the same options that you use during the week to keep your diet good.
Myself, I've always eaten several notches above normal my entire life. I can't help it; I was raised that way. So now I can "relax" on the weekends and it's still better than an average diet. I mean, I'm getting fruits, vegetables, and protein. I'm not trying to be anyone elite, so I can afford some sugars and beer and whatever.
Basically I relax on the weekends; it's not going to ruin everything. If I want to eat super healthy on a weekend, that's how I eat. If I really want something deep-fried, I'm going to eat it. It's good for my soul, and that's important too.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

You might want to try a "mandatory" cheat day every week. Move it around during the week. Knowing that you're entitled to one bad day of eating might reduce some of that temptation of "cheating" later on. A break from the routine isn't always a bad thing.

I've taken these last 2 weeks off from WODs and Zoning. My meals are still mostly Zoned, but I've cheated pretty much once a day for the last two weeks. I don't feel as great, and I'm sure today when I get back onto the WOD bandwagon I'm going to feel even worse, but sometimes breaks are good for you.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:

I'll eat ice cream on the weekends. Ok, sometimes during the week too.
For about the last month, I've stopped tracking my food on the weekends. I've been tracking pretty much daily since January. I just eat in zone proportions and try to mentally count the blocks.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I always 'cheat' on the weekends, it keeps me on track during the week. I can go through the weekdays being 100% good and won't really be tempted to eat off plan, because I know when the weekend comes I can be looser with eating.

Saturday/sunday I still eat meat/eggs/veg/fruit/nuts etc. like during the week, but I also might have things like cake, beer, pancakes, bread etc. I don't 'gorge' myself by eating entire pies or 24-packs, but I enjoy myself. Weekends are the time to be social, and for me being social usually includes kicking back with a beer and something i did not prepare myself. It's a great break, mentally.