CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Ryan Walker

Profile:
opening a box IN GENERAL???? Please help!

Hey guys, I know this is a pretty broad question(s) to answer but I really need some help and support here. I've never opened a business before but I'm absolutely determined to make this box work and succeed! Keep in mind, I'm only 21, so a lot of business terminology doesn't make a whole of sense to me....yet, I'm learning as much as I can right now. Could you just give me the basic steps to opening a box. I understand that I have to get approved by headquarters but I mostly need to know things like: Do I get a loan prior to being approved or wait for approval and then get the loan? Please, any information helps. Thanks you guys!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Ron Murray

Profile:
Re: opening a box IN GENERAL???? Please help!

I would first start doing some searches here for any questions you have specifically. There are a lot of posts here ranging back to 2004 which will cover many of the details you are looking for. Searching for something like opening a box, starting an affiliate etc. will probably yield a lot of answers.

There are really a plethora of vectors to be considered for any one person to just sit down and answer your initial post.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I don't run an affiliate or a business at all, but I would suggest at least some entry level business classes, just to get more familiar with what it's like. I'm not saying it's a necessity, but if you're as in the dark as you say, it would definitely help.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Joseph Vaughn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walker View Post
Hey guys, I know this is a pretty broad question(s) to answer but I really need some help and support here. I've never opened a business before but I'm absolutely determined to make this box work and succeed! Keep in mind, I'm only 21, so a lot of business terminology doesn't make a whole of sense to me....yet, I'm learning as much as I can right now. Could you just give me the basic steps to opening a box. I understand that I have to get approved by headquarters but I mostly need to know things like: Do I get a loan prior to being approved or wait for approval and then get the loan? Please, any information helps. Thanks you guys!!!

How do you plan on getting a loan? It is not likely that a bank will give you a business loan on a start up (SBA loans require quite a bit of money down). A personal line of credit is an option, but unless you have great personal credit and strong earnings.... that isn't too likely either.

If the loan is from family/friends/investor, I would get a LOI (letter of intent) from them indicating that they will provide the funds assuming you are approved for an affilate.

My box isn't open yet, but I would recommend having cash (or access to cash) of at least $50,000 depending on where you live.

JV
Old 04-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Do you know anything about coaching or programming? How much experience do you have with doing those things? Do you have a client base lined up? Those would be the first things I would worry about before you try to scrape together $50K to open a gym.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Find some mentors, for both business acumen, and training. Given your age, you probably don't have much experience with either.

While you may be able to rely on family for money, I wouldn't for the business help. Most family members that are not entrepreneurs, are not for a reason. It's scary as sh*t to open a business, especially in the current economy. So...may not be as supportive as you expect, OR be overly supportive and telling you that you'll do great because you're a great kid, blah, blah, blah.....meanwhile not knowing jack about what you're about to get yourself into.

You're 21, and shouldn't be in a rush to get anywhere. Learn from everyone! And especially from their mistakes! You need to be smart and good enough to create a business where if CrossFit was taken out of your name, you'd still thrive.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

What Brian, Joe, & Eric said. All really good advice.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
James lee

Profile:

having a mentor will be a huge key for someone in your situation. is there another CF box around you that is successful? approach Them
and see if you can be a partner of some sort. Maybe they can open one with you and be part owners, help you with the business part, etc. I for one would love to find a young enthusiatic smart person to open up another box with me and run that box.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Patrick O'Keefe

Profile:

Atleast 50k is needed, once equipment and everything else is purchased, you'll need to pay the bills for a little while as well while the membership is building.

There is a lot that goes into opening a box, as I just opened one in NJ. There are some attorney's fees, insurance costs, equipment costs, renovation costs, materials cost, Mindbody Online Cost or other client membership tool, toilet paper, paper, pens, dry erase boards, chalk, sound system, website, logos, and the list goes on. level 1 cert, and affiliation, almost forgot those, thats 4k right there!

Do your homework, and be ready for long days and nights in the beginning!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Thomas Belger

Profile:

I'm happy to talk to you if you'd like. Contact me through our website.