CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Alan Carson

Profile:
Keeping Track of Rounds on WODs

My wife and I own and operate our own gym. Durring my time training and coaching I have noticed that keeping track of WOD rounds on the white board is a very time and attention consuming task. It has gotten bad enough that we have decided to stop keeping track of rounds for our clients and going with the honor system by having them keep track of their own rounds. In our opinion our attention should be focused on coaching and watching our clients to make sure they are performing the lifts and movements right not on keeping track of rounds. This is what people pay us to do not to put marks on a board. My question to all of you is as CrossFit gym owners, trainers, and coaches do any of you have any alternative ways to keep track of WOD rounds? Maybe some way of having the members keep track of their own rounds?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Keeping Track of Rounds on WODs

Agreed that it's not your job to count reps and rounds for people while they train. If someone wants to short-count their numbers there's not a lot you can do about it, other than embarrass them by secretly counting them sometime if you think they've been cheating on a regular basis.

Get a 4ft by 8ft piece of whiteboard (similar surface as dry erase board, but cheap) from Home Depot and cut it into 1ft by 1ft squares. Before the workout starts draw a few lines across the width of the board with a dry erase marker, then use your finger to wipe out a small streak each time you finish a round. Once you're done count the swipes and you'll have your round count...that works best for an AMRAP type workout. If it's a "10 rounds for time" type thing, just make 10 little tally marks that can be erased 1 by 1 as rounds are completed.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Adam Shreim

Profile:

Get a bucket of kids chalk (the kind you draw with) and have the clients just mark on the ground their rounds... it is pretty simple and most likely nobody will ever cheat that. It's easy enough to clean.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Tommy Sittinger

Profile:

I like the chalk on the ground idea.

If I'm in a globogym, I call out the name of the corresponding local fire station to mark the round. For example, round one is "McLean," (station 1) round two is "Vienna," (station 2) round eight is "Annandale," (station 8) etc. Perhaps you can do something similar with your clients.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Eh, depending on what types of floors you have the chalk can get messy, as Freddy C. talks about here (WFS). I used to have to do a pretty solid mopping and scrubbing job on an almost-daily basis to get chalk up off the black mats at my affiliate. Using the small dry erase boards is just cleaner and cheaper and easier.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Eh, depending on what types of floors you have the chalk can get messy, as Freddy C. talks about here (WFS). I used to have to do a pretty solid mopping and scrubbing job on an almost-daily basis to get chalk up off the black mats at my affiliate. Using the small dry erase boards is just cleaner and cheaper and easier.
Precisely. I'd kill someone now if I walked in and a class had used my mats as chalkboards. We acquired a bunch of tally counters for next to nothing and they work excellent. We also cut up a bunch of whiteboard squares from a $13 8x4 sheet at Lowes. I also think that Joe Degain's bucket of poker chip idea is amazing.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Alan Carson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Murray View Post
Precisely. I'd kill someone now if I walked in and a class had used my mats as chalkboards. We acquired a bunch of tally counters for next to nothing and they work excellent. We also cut up a bunch of whiteboard squares from a $13 8x4 sheet at Lowes. I also think that Joe Degain's bucket of poker chip idea is amazing.
Thanks for all the tips guys. I haven't heard of the poker chip idea though. How does that work?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

My guess is you have a pile of chips and put one in a bucket or cup every time you finish a round on an AMRAP. Or if it's a 5 rounds for time type thing you could have 5 in your pocket and drop one in a certain spot on the floor after finishing each round.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Ron Murray

Profile:

just put a few buckets out that are filled with chips. After each round, take a chip out and put it in your own pile. Tally them up at the end, boo bam!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

In AZ we have rocks instead of grass. We call it our Paleo counting system. Grab a pile of rocks, complete a round move a rock over to new pile. Also works well for workouts like Karen. Get 15 rocks in a line each one represents 10 completed wall ball shots. Less thinking while brain in O2 deprived state.

We still have mistakes. Best ever was the 225 wall ball shot version of Karen. Member got confuse at the start; had 15 rocks broke wall balls into set of 5. Three sets of 5 per rock.

She was an experienced member working outside. When I checked on her she kept telling me this was kicking her *** today. I believed her and just thought she had been out late the night before or something. Later on we figure it out.