CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Loui Cavallini

Profile:
Removing Resistance Bands for Pullups

Hello all,

Lately I've been realizing the tremendous lack of progressions that resistance bands do for individuals to improve their pull-ups. I am aiming to remove them and want to present to my coaches the reason behind it by educating them on it.

I have been searching online for articles that speak about this topic but I come up short finding anything. I have a few questions for all of you.

1. Do you have any resources where this topic is discussed and spoken about?

2. If you have taken it upon yourself to remove banded pullups from your box/regiment, what did you do to work on pullup progressions which may be prescribed to an entire membership at a box?

I truly have seen where bad habits are picked up from using bands for pullups and need to educate myself and my coaches on an alternate approach on how to execute pullups better.

Thank you all for any help.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Removing Resistance Bands for Pullups

Doing negatives is a real good way to develop pull up specific strength. Maybe ring rows too?

Thats all I got, nothing in depth.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

We took our away over a year ago. I wasn't gonna spend the money to replace them. Figured I could put the $ to better use like bars and bumpers. Since then Ive had more people get pull-ups at a faster rate than our previous 4 years in operation. They're crutch and they are masturbatory - make you feel good but don't do much to make you better.

Progressions include:

1. Ring Rows
2. Negatives (jump up, pause, lower down slow)
3. Weighted negatives
4. Strict
5. Kipping

This **** works. Just be patient and force them to work to get stronger and it'll work.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Neal Fischer

Profile:

I did my L-1 in January and we were strongly discouraged from utilizing negatives on the pull-up. This exercise was highlighted as one that was particular bad in regards to rhabdo. The alternative we were taught was the jumping pull-up where the athlete was executing the pull-up on a bar that came to their wrist.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Fischer View Post
I did my L-1 in January and we were strongly discouraged from utilizing negatives on the pull-up. This exercise was highlighted as one that was particular bad in regards to rhabdo. The alternative we were taught was the jumping pull-up where the athlete was executing the pull-up on a bar that came to their wrist.
Yeah, if you do them for reps in a metcon... for strength in limited reps it shouldnt be an issue...
Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Fischer View Post
....which won't do anything to develop pulling strength because your legs are doing the work, and which are (if anything) more likely to results in rhabdo because they're done at high reps and people tend to resist on the eccentric portion of the movement.

There's nothing wrong with negative pullups done in reasonable numbers (i.e. 3-4 per day a few times a week) and they most definitely will help someone get their first deadhang pullup.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Clint Harris

Profile:

I'm not sure what is best or not - however, before I could do pull-ups, I hated the bands. Couldn't get in them. Couldn't get out of them. Rested too much. ****ed around changing bands. What a pain. I even got flipped over once. Furg that.
Regardless of the benefit, my enjoyment factor of WODs with pull-ups went up 10-fold when I switched to negatives. I'd jump up to chin over, but always strive for a 3-count negative. Yes, it diminished over time where the 3 count got a bit faster, but I feel like my intensity was higher and I progressed my pull-up strength faster than bands - and my enjoyment factor was much greater. Having the 3-count as a standard was important too ... so it didn't become a calf and lung workout.
Is probably why I still suck at stringing pull-ups together, but I can single them out without too much delay (not jumping, but a single kip up, and multiple when fresh - more of an up-down kip as opposed to swing).
I liken it to when we single clean & jerks dump and go style, as opposed to touch-n-go.

So, short story longer. Regardless of the strength benefit or 'negative', I cannot emphasize enough how much more I enjoyed the jump to negative(with a 3 count standard) in wods than the bands.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 04-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.