CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
Steven Thunander

Profile:
comprehensive barbell list 2015

Here it is: the all in one resource for barbells for 2015. 2014 was an amazing year for bar development. Throughout the year, we saw major changes in tensile strength in bars, better knurling, and more affordable options. Some of the long standing bars have also had modifications. Companies have also changed their lineups and added specialized bars.

As many of these bars have been reviewed extensively, I will provide links to the reviews and videos as needed and not repeat the information.

So, here we go:

Rogue Fitness
http://www.roguefitness.com/weightli.../bars?limit=64 (WFS)
As there are so many Rogue bar variants, I am not going to list them all, use the resources to educate yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuPyQR2Toms (WFS) (Matt Chan discusses Men's Rogue bar lineup
Note :the Bella bar is a 25mm Ohio bar variant, and there is a Woman's training bar and Oly WL bar, also 25mm. Same tensile strength and construction. Also, the Castro, Froning bushing and Operator bars are Ohio bars. The Burgender and Froning Bearing bars are part of the Oly WL line.
Another review link:
http://www.garage-gyms.com/rogue-bar...-buying-guide/ (WFS)

Prices range from $255.00 for the Rogue 2.0 bar to $635.00 for the Oly WL bar in Polished Chrome. All bars are 190K tensile strength except the beater and econ bars. All 190k+ bars are made at the Rogue Factory in the US. Also to be noted is that there will be a 200K tensile Oly bar coming out soon; this one is likely the one Rogue will submit for IWF certification.

Again Faster:
https://www.againfaster.com/shop/barbells/ (WFS)
Again Faster has revamped their entire line of Barbells. The first one is the Klokov Bar
http://www.garage-gyms.com/dmitry-kl...ympic-barbell/ (WFS)
Klokov Bar
260+K PSI
Good whip at heavier weights (Better than Ohio bar supposedly)
Bearing bar
Knurling suited to Oly lifting but can also be used for high reps
passive center knurl
$320+Shipping

Team AF 2.0 Bar
209K PSI
Bearings and bushings in bar
Good whip
Revamped knurling
$209.00+shipping

Pros: Absurdely cheap prices for great bars. All bars are 28mm
Cons: Don't know where the bars are made. If you are looking to buy American for your bar, you may need to look elsewhere.
Of note, there is an "Evolution bar" that has the same tensile specs of the team 2.0 bar, but has no bearings. It has the same bushing system as the older generation AF bar.

MuscleDriver USA/Pendlay
While Pendlay did not make new bars per say, they did update their coatings. They now have a bare steel option and a nickle plated chrome option, which is much stronger than the bright zinc they used previously.
http://www.muscledriverusa.com/Pendl...lls_c_288.html (WFS)
Pendlay HD bar
190K psi
28mm shaft
propriety bushing system
Oly only mark
Bare steel or nickel chrome plating
$339.00

Pendlay NB Bar
190K psi
28mm shaft
propriety bushing system
6 bearings per sleeve
Oly only mark
Bare steel or nickel chrome plating
$529.99
Note: Made in the USA in South Carolina.

Last edited by Steven Thunander : 01-01-2015 at 04:48 PM. Reason: links to websites
Old 01-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Steven Thunander

Profile:
Re: comprehensive barbell list 2015

Feel free to add to this, including links to reviews as needed.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Jason A Smith

Profile:

There are still 5 companies making bars that are certified through IWF. Three of them have been around for multiple decades making this stuff.

Eleiko
Werksan
Uesaka
ZKC
DHS

The top three can all be had through Rogue here in the states. DHS through Dynamic Eleiko and ZKC recently brought a distribution arm to USA. They are all also available I Canada too.

Most notably DHS (through Kanama in Toronto) and ZKC through jump start athletics.

I live close to the border so I would be shipping to a US address to save some money.

Only ever lifted on the following. Rogue Ohio, Rogue 1.0, Pendlay bushing and bearing (I own a Pendlay bearing which I like and used it own a Rogue 1.0. Also on various York bars and also a couple times on an Eleiko of unkown vintage as well as a sport training bar once.

There are also several other manufacturer's out there. Not sure about longevity with any of them. I know Rogue has great customer service and are looking for IWF certification as well. That says something.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

Over time, all companies will/must build better bars. The more savvy people become and realize the bar matters more than anything, they will gravitate towards the tried and true companies making superior bars.

For my purposes (Olympic lifting) the choices come down to Eleiko, Werksan, DHS. Never used a ZK, Uesaka. I have hope for Rogue's WL bars but I wont pay for an unknown

Aside from perhaps wicked knurling which could be an issue for WODs, there is no reason any of those bars won't hold up to massive abuse in a Box for general purpose. Of course if you have to buy ten general purpose bars price is a factor.

Any Box that has a weightlifting club attached should have a couple nice, single purpose bars.

In the long run, you can justify the cost of an expensive bar over an inferior by buying fewer pairs of WOD shorts and Nanos.

Ultimately, the cream will rise to the top.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #5
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
Over time, all companies will/must build better bars. The more savvy people become and realize the bar matters more than anything, they will gravitate towards the tried and true companies making superior bars.

For my purposes (Olympic lifting) the choices come down to Eleiko, Werksan, DHS. Never used a ZK, Uesaka. I have hope for Rogue's WL bars but I wont pay for an unknown

Aside from perhaps wicked knurling which could be an issue for WODs, there is no reason any of those bars won't hold up to massive abuse in a Box for general purpose. Of course if you have to buy ten general purpose bars price is a factor.

Any Box that has a weightlifting club attached should have a couple nice, single purpose bars.

In the long run, you can justify the cost of an expensive bar over an inferior by buying fewer pairs of WOD shorts and Nanos.

Of note, Eleiko does make a lower cost XF range bar for high rep CrossFit work (and will still work for Oly as it has good whip), and their sport training bar can also be used for the same purpose. The Cheapest price is at http://bumperplates.com (wfs) Any of the other brand's training bars (Uesaka, Werksan, DHS) make good metcon bars as well.

However, many people are not going to spring upwards of $800 for a Oly bar, especially CrossFitters who may only compete in local Oly meets. That's where the Rogue Oly bar, Pendlay NB, Klokov Bar, the Vaughn bar, and other lower end Oly bars come in.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #6
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I think if I heard correctly the Eleiko CEO himself mentioned something about the bite of the bar for less experienced trainees and likely more high rep work. He mentioned the Sport training bar and the XF bar more for these purposes.

The Sport Training bar I worked on felt very similar to my Pendlay bar, which I use for everything. For just me it is great. I am looking to pick up an Eleiko training bar this spring which will be used for just lifting. Also looking at their plates to go with it at some point. They are pricey but will last me forever.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post

This part made me laugh.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Another thing I mentioned in the first post, but need to mention again is that it is likely that Rogue will be releasing a 200,000+k PSI Oly WL bar this year. I also believe that this is the bar that will be submitted to the IWF for certification.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
Another thing I mentioned in the first post, but need to mention again is that it is likely that Rogue will be releasing a 200,000+k PSI Oly WL bar this year. I also believe that this is the bar that will be submitted to the IWF for certification.
Yes, and I think I heard that it's actually closer to 220k steel from Europe.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I think it is great that they are releasing an IWF approved bar as well. Funny that they needed Euro steel to do it. Wonder if the cost will actually end up closer to that from the other manufacturer's like Werksan, Eleiko and Uesaka.

Maybe Bill will chime in and set us all straight.