CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Can anyone give me any advice on doing Intermittent Fasting as it relates to my workout schedule? I usually start my workouts between 4 and 4:30 am. I'm in bed by 10pm. I am 40 years old and in decent shape. Have slacked off a little lately and have put on about 20 pounds I'd like to get rid of by July timeframe. Any recommendations from some experienced IF'rs? I really would like to cut some bodyfat.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Don't eat before your morning workout. Eat your first meal around an hour after your workout. Eat your last meal of the day 6-10 hours after your first. 10pm is pretty late to go to bed if you are waking at 4am.... might need to stretch your eating window out a bit longer so you aren't starving when you go to bed.

Your schedule is pretty close to mine: I wake at 4 for a 5am workout, eat my first meal at 7am, last meal at 5pm... I just try to get more sleep than you get (shoot for 8-10 hours each night).
Old 04-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
Thanks for the advice. You know, no matter how hard I try, I can't sleep more than 6 hours a night. Sometimes I go to bed around 9:30 pm. I try to grab a nap during the afternoon sometimes.

So, do you eat 5 or 6 small meals in your window or larger meals?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Before you jump into IF I would try to get more sleep. Getting only 6 hours of sleep a night is going to mess up your hormones and recovery and shift your body compostion to one you'd rather not have. Get more sleep first. Once you've got that down you can start IF. From the looks of it you do your workout in the morning.Most have found that the 15 hour overnight fast seems to work best for folks who workout in the AM. A good way to do this is to stop eating at 6:00 PM and break the fast at 9:00 AM about an hour after you're workout. In your case, if you continue to workout at 4:00-4:30 AM you should have your last meal at 3:00-3:30 PM and begin eating at 6:00-6:30 Am the next day. If I were you I would simply sleep more and follow the 6-9 IF plan, however, I'm not familiar with your schedule and it is very likely that you have no other option to awake at such an early time. In this case, I would simply push back my bedtime to 7:00-8:00 PM in order to get a good 8-9 hours of sleep. Also, what does your diet consist of right now. Before you hop into IF you're going to want to get the compostion of your diet in line. For the simplist explanation of what your diet should consist of check here: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-diet.html
If you haven't already established a clean diet composed of paleo/zone friendly food choices you're going to want to do that before even thinking of IF. If you have any questions feel free to ask.