CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Thayer Morrill

Profile:
Beginner – squat rack and bar question

I started Starting Strength a couple of weeks ago. Currently I am using homemade squat stands and a bar I got for $10 off craig’s list. The bar has already started to bend and I am hardly lifting any weight yet. I definitely need a better bar, and I think I need a power rack. I was hoping to get some recommendations (I have searched previous posts, but all seemed geared towards people who are a little more experienced than I am).

I have plenty of floor space, so I am not worried about the footprint, but I lift by myself and am worried about not having a spotter. Using saw horses just doesn’t give me confidence, and I want to be able to try weights I have to fight with a little bit.

I know everybody hear loves Rogue, but do I really need to spend 600 for a rack and 250 for a bar? Money is not really the problem, but I hate to spend that much if I don’t really need to. I’m not planning on ever lifting super heavy, and I don’t have any bumper plates, so it seems like I should be able to get by with a cheaper bar and rack, but I don’t want to skimp and regret it 8 months from now. Has anyone tried this: http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PPR2...3440781&sr=8-1 (wfs).

I have searched the board, but I haven’t seen any recommendations that really pertain to beginners. My apologies if this post is a duplicate.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: Beginner – squat rack and bar question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer Morrill View Post
I started Starting Strength a couple of weeks ago. Currently I am using homemade squat stands and a bar I got for $10 off craig’s list. The bar has already started to bend and I am hardly lifting any weight yet. I definitely need a better bar, and I think I need a power rack. I was hoping to get some recommendations (I have searched previous posts, but all seemed geared towards people who are a little more experienced than I am).

I have plenty of floor space, so I am not worried about the footprint, but I lift by myself and am worried about not having a spotter. Using saw horses just doesn’t give me confidence, and I want to be able to try weights I have to fight with a little bit.

I know everybody hear loves Rogue, but do I really need to spend 600 for a rack and 250 for a bar? Money is not really the problem, but I hate to spend that much if I don’t really need to. I’m not planning on ever lifting super heavy, and I don’t have any bumper plates, so it seems like I should be able to get by with a cheaper bar and rack, but I don’t want to skimp and regret it 8 months from now. Has anyone tried this: http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PPR2...3440781&sr=8-1 (wfs).

I have searched the board, but I haven’t seen any recommendations that really pertain to beginners. My apologies if this post is a duplicate.

Thanks in advance!
As far as a squat rack is concerned, just keep an eye out on Craigslist. You can get one just as nice as the one you posted I'm sure for much less.

With regards to a bar... well, as you've already experienced, you get what you pay for. Now, do you need to spend $250 on a bar? No, of course not. But if you only want to spend $250 on a bar ONCE, then maybe you should consider a Rogue Multipurpose Bar($255), Rogue Castro Bar ($255), Wright HD Bar ($255), or Pendlay HD bar ($299). The nice thing about the $250+ you're spending on these bars is that they are guaranteed for life. If it bends, they'll replace it. Simple as that.

The nice thing about these bars is not just the durability or warranty they hold, but also the quality in their use. These bars will whip and spin nicer than your run-of-the-mill Craigslist bars. I have an array of bars that range from crappy to one with a needle bearing, and let me tell you, there's a huge difference.

If money really isn't an issue, step up and get a nice bar. If you think you'll really get into Crossfit, bumpers will be a necessity in my honest opinion. Call Jason at www.wrightexercise.com (WFS). I have their bumpers and I absolutely love them and they're the cheapest around (just cause money isn't an issue, doesn't mean you shouldn't find the best deal either you know haha).
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
James Orr

Profile:

I went back and forth about equipment when I was making my purchases earlier this year. "This looks really cool on the web, and it seems popular . . . but this is a lot cheaper!" And so it went for a few weeks.

When it came to bars, the Pendlay really appealed to me for a few reasons.

1) Pendlay is associated with olympic weightlifting, and my interest in learning that is actually how I found Crossfit.

2) I liked the way it looked. I didn't like the black Rogue bar. I know this is dumb, and no longer an issue thanks to their custom looks.

And so I bought the Pendlay bar. I can't believe how nice it feels in my hands. If you buy a nice bar, you'll be so happy you did. If you decide not to, you'll probably wonder "what if" before every workout.

I also went with Rogue's SPX squat rack and their portable pull up bar. They're both pieces that will last me forever. What I haven't seen much of on the web is mention of their powder coating. They work in a bit of texture that, like the Pendlay bar, makes everything feel REALLY nice, and adds an essence of serious quality. I imagine that their R3 rack would be the same. Keep in mind that you need to bolt it to the floor.

In the end, I'm glad I spent an extra few hundred. Had I not, I'd already be eyeing a few upgrades. Rogue makes seriously nice, commercial quality stuff.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
John Powell

Profile:

I've never used the squat rack in your post, but based on the picture, you may want to make alternate arrangements for pullups. the stand looks very short which means bent legs on pullups. If you are just starting out, you may not use a kip yet, but you will and kipping with bent legs sucks.

Not a huge deal, if you are planning on mounting a separate pullup bar, but if you are relying on the squat rack, I'd go taller.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Alex Willess

Profile:

I have the same squat rack and I fixed the height issue fairly easily. Just find some scrap metal or buy some, get some bolts and drill some holes. I would not pay that much for that rack though, I would watch out for a rack on Craigslist and see what you can get for under $200. I got mine for $150 with the latpull attachment (relocated as well)

The biggest problem with kipping pullups on this rack with the relocated bar is the lack of weight on the rack related to its tendency to move a good amount. Either weld some pipe on the sides for some nice plate holders or just put the bar with some weight on to keep it in place. It is also fairly shallow in depth for squats which could be a problem if you are generally taller, and the hole for adjustments are also rather far apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PU bar.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	6343  
Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Drew Monroe

Profile:

I'd get the rack off craigslist.

I have been slowly changing my garage over the last year. I got my bumper plates, pull up bar, and some other stuff from www.neptunebarbell.com I have only had good experiences with them.

They were definitely cheaper than rogue for the bumper plates.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
Thayer Morrill

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
David Tybor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer Morrill View Post
but do I really need to spend 600 for a rack
Rip has specs on his website for a custom squat rack that you might be able to get built for $300-400
Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Andy Gann

Profile:

I bought a rack, a bar (fairly cheap but hasn't bent yet), a bench, and 300 lbs of steel weights and collars for 300 bucks.

Keep searching CL - you'll find deals. If you're willing to drive, use a CL helper like search tempest and include nearby areas.