CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Phil Washlow

Profile:
Low Back Pain

While doing Amanda, on the second to last snatch I felt a pain about one inch above my hip bone and two inches towards my belly button both in the front and in the back on only my left side. My psoas and QL were horrible to roll out afterwards but doing so makes the pain better, at least temporarily. The pain is consistent in the back in the are between my pelvis and ribcage top/bottom and from my erector all the way to my oblique left/right. I am perfectly comfortable standing, I can even jog if I want to. However if I hip hinge or squat either without actively bracing beforehand or do one of those actions to the limits of my current mobility while bracing I feel extreme pain.

Has anyone dealt with something like this or have an idea of what is going on?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
Re: Low Back Pain

Hey Phil,

Your pelvis might be out of line. Check Kelly Starrett's MobilityWOD for a technique to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBY84sqrR0
(w/f safe)
Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Michael Hollister

Profile:
Re: Low Back Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
While doing Amanda, on the second to last snatch I felt a pain about one inch above my hip bone and two inches towards my belly button both in the front and in the back on only my left side. My psoas and QL were horrible to roll out afterwards but doing so makes the pain better, at least temporarily. The pain is consistent in the back in the are between my pelvis and ribcage top/bottom and from my erector all the way to my oblique left/right. I am perfectly comfortable standing, I can even jog if I want to. However if I hip hinge or squat either without actively bracing beforehand or do one of those actions to the limits of my current mobility while bracing I feel extreme pain.

Has anyone dealt with something like this or have an idea of what is going on?

Thanks
Phil,

Sorry to hear that, man. I've had some lower back pain too and know it's a drag.

1) What is your day job? Do you tend to sit a lot?
2) Do you have any other joint pain, like in your knees or shoulders?
2) How would you say your posture is?

The reason I ask is, most people have tight, and frequently misaligned, hips due to our lifestyles of sitting/driving a lot. So putting misaligned joints under load like we do in CF can cause pain. That might explain why the psoas and QL were so tight rolling out as well. Mine get tight from sitting at a desk so much.

I've dealt with a lot of lower back and shoulder pain, so re-aligning my hips is what got me out of pain. There are ways to do it on your own without necessarily needing a chiro or PT. Do you think that might be a possibility in your case?