CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Laura Bogardus

Profile:
Bilateral Knee Replacement

Well, it has been 3 weeks and one day since my surgery. Yesterday, was my last home physical therapy session. My ROM in my left leg was 123 and it was 120 in my right leg. Next Thursday, I start out patient PT. I hope they let me have at least two weekly sessions for three weeks. I have no idea how this works. My goal is to get to ROM 145 in both legs and improve my standing leg curls. Can someone explain how the out patient PT works and what to expect? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Laura Bogardus

Profile:
Re: Bilateral Knee Replacement

well it's 4 weeks ago today i had both knees replaced. today was my first out patient pt. i was hoping for more re: rom. but, it is what it is. left knee is 125 and right knee was still 120. i still have my goals of 145 for each. the pt person is being encouraging but, i guess patience is something i have to work on. well onward and upward. i think it's funny how so many of us are 54 when we had our knees replaced. what is that all about?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
William Garrett

Profile:

Nice recovery. ROM can be very very frustrating at times. I had major knee injury back in 2009 and shattered my femur at the knee and was treated as a total knee replacement, long story short or broke one side of the femur at the knee joint. So the joint was split in half.....

I lost ALL ROM with my injury etc....it just takes time. I was stuck below 108 degrees for close to 4 months then finally broke thru the barrier into the 120's. I was told I would never be able to go past 90 initially. 3 years later I have full ROM....

My biggest suggesting is just keep on staying positive, keep doing daily ROM exercises, biking, wall slides, etc.....dont just do them at PT, that is what separates the regular people from the normal people when it comes to recovery.

Good Luck again, your doing awesome. Im 34 btw.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

That is a lot to contend with. I'm doing as you say, PT every day, actually 3x a day and icing after each session. I have my up and down moments. Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about it. And I can feel my knees are getting more stable and not moving around so much due to the new exercises they gave me. Looking forward to tomorrow's out patient PT session. Thanks for the encouragement. Congratulations for your full ROM, it's inspiring.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I'm 5 months + 2 days post op TKA. My knee feels exceptionally good now. Do your PT every day and ice, you will have good and bad days I sure did. I had those odd feelings also: instability, coordination issues and just feeling weird, (I still can't explain them) wiil pass. Now I have slight aches from time to time, rest and ice is the way to go.

"i think it's funny how so many of us are 54 when we had our knees replaced. what is that all about?"
Good question Laura, I'm 54
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Thanks Pete! Today was a very good day. At out patient PT my ROM was 138 in both legs. wooo hooo! I feel very blessed. Still aiming for 145. And yes, rice is my friend.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Greg Griffith

Profile:

Laura,

Just curious about you having bilateral TKR. Why did you decide to have both knees replaced at the same time? You are sure doing quite well very soon.

It appears to me that most people do one knee at a time. So you may be the poster child for the option of doing both knees and getting the deal done.

My doctor didn't like that option. Not even a little bit.

Keep up the good work.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Hi Greg,

My surgeon would only do it if I was fit and both legs were eligible/in need of the surgery. He emphasized getting upper body strength. I was fit due to crossfit, hot yoga, and cycling. I had advanced stage osteoarthritus in my right leg back in 2004 and had the scope surgery. (That ended my ultramarthon running which I had only done for 4 years. I really stopped almost all my running within a year from then.) Then my left leg just went crazy. My left leg was at stage 2 or 3 back in 2004. I have a high pain tolerance and my body would adapt to limping which I guess makes it easier to continue working out. By 2011, I was bone on bone on two sides of my left knee. So, now both legs were not working properly. So, here are two of the reasons I did this surgery.

1. I couldn't hike down hill w/o severe pain. I couldn't go on long walks or hikes anymore. But, I still worked out, just mostly in confined spaces, except when I went on a bike ride. I like being outside as well as inside.

2. My mom has dementia and my dad needs my help. To do that I use FMLA time. So, I need to have enough time on the books at work to help me and my family. It's better to go into your accruals one time for surgery so you can heal one time and still help out at home once you finish healing. Then you don't use up all your time and are still eligible for FMLA.

There's more reasons, but those are the two important ones. It's been hard not being available to my folks through this healing time. But, I'll be back to help.

As for the recovery, while I'm still not stable on my legs and have not tried to really sit on my knees since the surgery (not suppose to do this for first 6 weeks), I think like everyone else, scar tissue builds differently in the legs and the amount of moving around you do which should be little during the first 6 weeks has something to do with it. I mostly do only what they say for PT. My husband does all the work around the house, sets me up for icing, the cpm (which I no longer do), cooks. He does it all so I just focus on healing. I am blessed to have him looking out for me. Sorry for the long winded information.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Karen Hayes

Profile:

Hi Laura-
One of my least favorite things to do is WAIT and be patient but, with knee replacements you must be. I had my right knee replaced in February and just today I achieved full depth in a squat. I tried to do everything too fast at first and it just made my knee swell up, NOT what we want. If you just keep exercising and going to crossfit and doing what you can there, the ROM will come. I notice it improving every month a little at a time.
The first weeks and months back I would do all the workouts but I had to accept that when I did a front squat (or any squat) I did it with less weight and, for a LONG while, I did it without full depth. Just dialing in the technique and really working on form seems to help with the ROM.
I can even run the 400 and 200's when it is called for (no real swelling when I do) but this all took time.

So, this is a long winded way of saying that you are on the right path. It just is a bit longer than any of us would like
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Hi Karen,

I'm taking the advice on waiting. I am focusing only on PT especially after seeing my surgeon last Thursday. He's happy with my progress, and wants me to just focus on the PT for the first 8 weeks which I am doing. But, I will say that I had a great out patient PT session today. My left leg now has a ROM of 142. Whereas, my right leg stayed at 138. So, I'm happy with the progress just need to keep on doing the same thing for a little more over two to three weeks. Then I will gradually start working out for exercise. Oh, but, I think I'll get in the water next week and walk which I was told today I can do as much as I want. Thanks for your advice and letting me see the light further down the tunnel.