CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Anthony Hanna

Profile:
SMAI OLY Barbell

Hey guys and girls,

I was hoping that someone would have any knowledge on whether SMAI's Men's Power 500 Barbell is any good for Olympic Lifting at home?

They have it on sale ATM for around the $200 mark

Here's the link for it:
http://www.smai.com.au/products/weig...er-500/d545-86

Any feedback would be great

Regards,
Anthony
Old 05-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: SMAI OLY Barbell

I have never heard of that bar, however I imagine it would do the job. Having said that, if Olympic weightlifting is what you want to do, Spend the money on a 28mm bearing bar (maybe bushing bar depending on who produced it). For your personal use, a real (quality) Olympic barbell should last you a lifetime and be worth something after that.

Heck, you could spend around $900 on an Elieko, Werk San, etc, use it for two years and decide you are not into lifting anymore and still be able to sell the thing for close to what you bought it for.

I quality bar can cost a bunch, maybe more in Australia I don't know. You may not even be able to tell the difference at first. Eventually though, you will.

If it a matter of either lifting at home or notdue to cost, grab the bar you posted and go for it.

Good luck but more importantly have fun
Old 05-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Keith Miller

Profile:

Personally, I don't think it would be a good bar if you're looking to specifically do Olympic weightlifting. It's only statically rated for 500 lbs, which is not very much. Especially since the dynamic forces you'll be subjecting the barbell to during Olympic lifting will go far beyond the rating. I don't know how the two ratings relate, but static rating basically means nothing!!

I would seriously look for a decent 28 mm bearing barbell. You'll not regret it in the end, and it will last you decades!! My barbell is over 12 years old, not bent, and spins as smooth as the day I bought it!! I have never done any maintenance on it other than brush off some chalk and wipe off some blood (my own). I spent $600 when I bought it, so you can do the math.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
Ryan McGrotty

Profile:

At first glance it seems like a decent $200 bar, except their rating of the strength of the steel is really really low. I'm not sure if they meant to rate it as "500 lbs is a good working weight max" or "500 lbs static rating." If it's 500 lbs static rating, that's lower than I've ever seen for an Oly bar and really awful steel.

Based on the specs they provided, I wouldn't want to buy it since it seems destined to be a bent bar if the steel is really only rated to 500 lbs static. The hydraulic testing they did is an order of magnitude less pressure than we do, Pendlay does, etc...
Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #5
Tate Dimech

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Hanna View Post
Hey guys and girls,

I was hoping that someone would have any knowledge on whether SMAI's Men's Power 500 Barbell is any good for Olympic Lifting at home?

They have it on sale ATM for around the $200 mark

Here's the link for it:
http://www.smai.com.au/products/weig...er-500/d545-86

Any feedback would be great

Regards,
Anthony
Hi Anthony,

This bar is perfect for oly and crossfit. SMAI is an awesome company and they are located in Wollongong so you can go pick up the gear from Sydney
Old 05-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #6
James Michael Lee Hill

Profile:

I would get a Again faster bar if I were you. I bought a SMAI, bent with a 155kg deadlift. Eleiko bar in aus is min 1500. I opted for an Again Faster bar because funds were tight. I have loaded it up with 220kg and it has bent yet. Just my 2 cents. If I had the money I would get a pendlay bar with no hesitation.