CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Ruth S. Walker

Profile:
Stay at home mom workouts/ when to eat

ok Crossfitters,
I'm new to Crossfit and a stay at home mom, I have small children and can't leave them obviously at home while I take a quick run outside... what would be the best regime to do at home on a weekly basis.. so i don't get bored. Any website out there for home workouts with minimal equipment?
Also. better to eat Before or after a workout?
Help!!
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Stay at home mom workouts/ when to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth S. Walker View Post
ok Crossfitters,
I'm new to Crossfit and a stay at home mom, I have small children and can't leave them obviously at home while I take a quick run outside... what would be the best regime to do at home on a weekly basis.. so i don't get bored. Any website out there for home workouts with minimal equipment?
Also. better to eat Before or after a workout?
Help!!
Thanks in advance!
travel WODs (WFS)

I would recommend eating before (1-2hrs) and right after your workout. If you can't stomach a meal right after, go for a post-workout shake of some sort.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

burpees, jump rope, jumping jacks, running in place... and run when you can, either in the morning or at night when someone else can watch the kids... also you could take the kids with you, it is wonderful family time
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Sara Ochsner

Profile:

Hi Ruth,

Are you talking about work outs in addition to going to a crossfit class? Or do you need ideas for doing your own crossfit WODs at home? Also a list of what equipment you do have would be helpful.

I eat before and after a WOD. Recently I started adding a chocolate shake post workout (within 15 min). Then I'll eat a meal when I'm hungry afterwards.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Ruth, get the basic equipment: jump rope, 5 or 10 lb med ball, maybe a 20 lb dumbbell...all can be had for minimal cost.

Look at wodshop.com for ideas on exercises and start looking at crossfit.com in the exercises and demos section for proper demonstrations on how to do the movements. You can do 100s of body weight exercises that will really jack your heart rate and burn calories.

I recently lost 25 lbs in about 10 weeks just by switching up my diet to Paleo. Basically, it is a meat, fish, veggies, some fruit and nuts, no solar diet. The biggest thing that kept me on track was a food diary. Get a spiral note book ans start writing down everything that goes in your mouth; EVERYTHING! This is a real eye opener...I quickly realized that I was eating a lot of crap. Paleo= no processed foods, no soda, cut way down on breads, rice and pasta. Your carbs should come from veggies and fruit. Eat until full. Eat slowly. Enjoy your meals with your family, don't just exhale it so you get get the kitchen cleaner up....

Good luck
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Blake Brown

Profile:

Before anything else I would recommend getting a pull-up bar. You can get ones that hang over the door, I just bought one of the shower rails and mounted it in my garage. If you are new to CrossFit, you can increase your strength by just doing the basics: pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups and dips without dumping a ton of money into weight equipment.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Blake Brown

Profile:

Oh, and Burpees! YAAAAAY Burpees!