CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
David Hanson

Profile:
What is inflammation, exactly?

The following is one part mobility, one part nutrition. Both fall under recovery so I figured this would post best here. If thought otherwise please let me know.

In the midst of a definition conundrum here. Iíve been following Crossfit for four years now and am now trying to turn up my involvement and understanding of not just exercises but also other core disciplines in regards to fitness and nutrition. Part of my increased involvement/discipline was subscribing to Dr. Kelly Starretís mobilitywod.com in the last three weeks. If you havenít yet visited the site the information provided is one of the most distributive wealth of mobility techniques Iíve seen, in my experience. In the past week Iíve been practicing the Zone Diet and Iím beginning to plan out weeks ahead.

One of Dr. Starretís eye opening videos is him having an open conversation with Gary Reinl. In the video Dr. Starret and Mr. Reinl discuss why it is bad to ice after injury and why inflammation is a good thing. Yes: Ice bad, inflammation good. A few weeks ago I had to pull my car over and pay strict attention with the video on (Automotive safety was followed people. I had the video and audio separate and was solely listening, not watching). In summary the argument was icing/cold/anti-inflammatories used to counteract the bodies natural inflammation process was a rebellious attempt against body science developing since man was man; why would you take thousands of years of evolution and tell the body your natural reaction is wrong? They further their argument through citing case studies and peer reviewed academic research. Watch the video if youíve got the time. SFW http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/p...ooo-wrong.html SFW

So seeing this is a compelling argument, to me, about why inflammation is good. Cue Dr. Sears of the renowned Zone Diet. Watching his Crossfit Presentation through the Journal he cites why inflammation is bad. Inflammation is bad for the heart, the body. Zone Diet, with its high dose side kick fish oil, fight the evils of inflammation. I keep this paragraph short as my own familiarity with Zone is yet in its infancy and the concepts are likely more known than mobilitwod's.

So why donít the two voices of principle in the mobility and nutrition have an agreed definition of what is inflammation? If there are parallels between the two, what are they? From a muscle-damage standpoint the identification is simple: Swelling. My confusion is what Dr. Searsí definition of inflammation is. Maybe I'm missing the mark entirely. Iím seeking to better understand the inflammation Zone is targeting, aside from body homeostasis. What symptoms are presented by inflammation in Dr. Searsí view, how would I know what inflammation is if I saw it? Thanks!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Richard Rubin

Profile:
Re: What is inflammation, exactly?

As I understood upon initially viewing K-star's video it was more a focus on muscle inflammation as a part of the natural muscle recovery process.

I haven't seen the Zone video but The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf talks a lot about inflammation of the digestive tract and how it can impare weight loss and overall health. It's been a while since I've read the book but IIRC the digestive inflammation created a "stress" situation in the body which elevated cortisol levels. Prolonged cortisol levels can increase cravings, cause weight gain, and be a contributing factor to many diseases (heart disease, diabetes, etc.).

I think it just boils down to different definitions of inflammation in this case. Of course, I could be wrong. I'm no Doctor, just regurgitating what I've read
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Todd R Bailey

Profile:

Inflammation is part of the innate immune system and is a potent tool used by the body in responding to exercise or injury. It is this natural response to an acute event that Kstar advocates you do not interfere with.

However, lifestyle issues like poor diet, stress, lack of sleep, etc. can also cause inflammation in the body. However, this inflammation is a chronic and systemic and can contribute to health problems. It is this type of inflammation that you want to minimize.

Check out this article on Mark's Daily Apple for a discussion of different types of inflammation:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-...#axzz2IAZ0Rnar (wfs)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

I think inflammation is like many of the body's reactions, it can go overboard and move from necessary and beneficial to counterproductive. I don't agree with the idea of not interfering with it in the cases of injury etc.

Oh, and yes, it is an immune response.

One thing about that Starrett argument, you could make the same argument concerning allergies and or allergic reactions such as to bee stings etc. Obviously not all immune responses are ideal or appropriate.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
BMH

Profile:  

KStar is a pt. and knows a bit about pathology but is no expert. When there is perceived injury by the body signaling protein are released and can cause swelling through edema and other mechanisms reduce mobility and cause pain. There are different kinds but mostly systemic is the one you want to combat. This is done with omega 3 efa's, cox inhibitors, reducing sugar intake etc. If you have an injury icing will make it feel better but bi evidence indicates it does anything else. It is merely a drug free way of pain relief. What I wrote is the readers digest version.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
BMH

Profile:  

I also forgot to add there is no conclusive evidence that nsaids cause inhibition of gains or increase them. Like all things, consider carefully if you actually need something and look at your training if you are always so sore you can't function. Inflammation can inhibit healing too if it is excessive. I like what KStar has to say, but I disagree with this video as it is not really founded by much other than opinion.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
David Hanson

Profile: