CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Rachel Fazio

Profile:
Another shoulder question

Hello all,
I have been doing CF for just a few months now, and I have noticed a trend. At first, whenever I would do any exercises that involved hanging from an object over my head, such as pullups, my left shoulder would hurt. I am assuming it was only the left one because I had mildly injured it in the past.

I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong on the pullups (I think - it doesn't start to hurt when I do them any more) but it still hurts when I do things like toes to bar. I have very little to no idea why some exercises would bother it and others don't, considering they all did at first.

I am happy to go into the specific shoulder pain and all that, but I figured I would spare that for now in case there is some blatant, obvious answer that I am missing about form or the different requirements of the exercises, etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Vince Mannella

Profile:
Re: Another shoulder question

My shoulder/neck would hurt after pull ups and after toes to bar as well.
With pullups especially weighted I noticed that I would "stretch" my chin to make the bar....which is why I would injure myself.
With the toes to bar I think it could be the swinging you let yourself do when you are first learning the move. I try to control my body more and be more ridgid and have found that it helps.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts

2. What shoulder articulations hurt wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html
Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Rachel Fazio

Profile:

It might be the adduction that hurts? What was happening originally was that when I was doing pullups and I would be at the bottom of the movement with my arms fully extended I would feel like a hitch in my shoulder, like it was sliding over something. Every time it would sort of click like that it would really hurt, and then become far more sore even afterward. Once it was sore in that manner, it would hurt just to try to raise it above my head, even with no weight. Hope this helps some?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Sigh.

The problem is that in full flexion (arm above the head) there is a lot of things going on. If you can not provide any accurate details about your injury I strongly suggest you see an orthopedic doctor.

Heck, I strongly suggest you see one anyway. "Diagnosis" over the Internet is anything less than a sure thing, especially when you can't describe it and people like myself can't see you in person.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Rachel Fazio

Profile:

Well, in part I do agree with you. There are a few problems though. One is that I am a poor student with crappy health insurance, so going to the doctor is not a very appealing option on that front. Also, the last time I hurt my shoulder, they basically just told me I tore my rotator cuff, ice it, rest it, etc., without any imaging or anything. So I can't say I have a whole lot of faith that going would help, considering I've been doing that this time. Just thought someone else may have been through something similar and could at least point me in the right direction.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

I need more information to make a guess.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Rachel Fazio

Profile:

Okay, so I went out and tried to do some toes to bar off my mom's clothesline posts just to make my shoulder sore. I attached a pic with a square of approximately where it hurts in back. It hurts in the corresponding area in the front, but in the back it just hurts, and in the front it hurts and feels like it's going to pop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shoulder_edited-1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	6988  
Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Hmmm, if it was a little higher and given your symptoms I'd say it was AC joint separation.

You injuredy our shoulder before, yes? What happened then? Was there shoulder trauma?

IFFFFF it's AC Joint then this should help:

Basically, you can follow tendonitis protocol minus the exercise and stretching for now:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

The AC joint connects scapular to the rest of the body through the clavicle. The joint is supposed to be immobile. Once it gets moving via sprain or tearing of the ligaments, it's very easy to get arthritis in the joint since the cartilage wears down pretty quickly.

Basically, what you do with AC joint is rest, massage the muscles around the area to increase blood flow for healing + keep the muscles from tightening up, fish oil for anti-inflammatory, ice if it helps.

Once it start feeling better improve range of motion with non-painful movement, and start strengthening rotator cuff muscles to make the shoulder more stable.

Then work slowly back into compound movements.

Usually each of these steps will take 2-4 weeks each. Can take more or less depending on how your body recovers -- to improve recovery capacity take the fish oil, sleep more, eat quality foods, etc.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
Rachel Fazio

Profile:

Okay, thanks, I'll give that a try.

There was no trauma before; it was really dumb actually. I was just sitting on a bench, doing bent over lateral raises, with like 8lb weights, and it started to hurt. I figured it was just a muscular thing so I kept going. Then later when I couldn't shut my car door with that arm I figured out something more was wrong.