CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Henry Adderley

Profile:
Calf problems - please help!

I'm at the end of my rope and will try anything at this point to solve my problem. Since the start of the year I have been suffering recurrent calf pulls/strains in both legs whenever I have tried to do any type of running - long distance/sprints/on the road/on grass. The strains are occurring in the same spots on both calves which is on the outside, lower down - about where the meat of the muscle and the tendon connect. I am getting physio which consists of massage, ultrasound and leectro-stimulation and I am doing my own stretching and strengthening exercises (unweighted calf raises) on the own. I have no problem alleviating the pain and getting it feeling normal again but come time to run and no matter what i do to prepare, one or the other calf strains. And, no, I am not prepared to give up on running!
Thanks in advance for any help/ideas you might have.
Henry
Old 02-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
Nathan Plowman

Profile:
Re: Calf problems - please help!

I had the same problem about a year ago, in exactly the same place. How long are you going between runs?

I found it would feel ok after a couple of days, but then I would get it again whenever I ran. I eventually stopped running altogether for 3 weeks, and instead just upped the miles on the bike for those weeks.

I found I came back fresher, and faster, as well as my calves being recovered.

Nathan
Old 02-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Brent Moore

Profile:

Sounds like shin splints to me!

I had the same problem

This e-book is worth the 25 bucks:

http://www.shinsplintcure.com/Cure.htm
Old 02-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Henry Adderley

Profile:

Thanks for the replies - I thought shin splints only occurred in the front of the lower leg?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Brent Moore

Profile:

I hope the picture I am trying to attach shows up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fg075_2.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1303  
Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Henry Adderley

Profile:

Hmmmm - that is very close to where I am getting the problem. Would a shin splint 'coming on' give that same pulling sensation that I am associating with a calf strain? I am definitely going to mention this to my physio on Tuesday morning. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Chris Patterson

Profile:

This happens a lot in newer runners or with runners who have changed to a new shoe. Typically your purpose designed running shoes have a lower profile than dress shoes or work boots. When you slip on your running shoes your gastrocnimus is stretched more because of the smaller "heel" on running shoes compared to other shoes. Most ASICS models and a few of the Bowermen series Nike srunning shoes have low profiles and a smaller toe to heel ratio. This has caused me pain in the past and can be corrected by trying a shoe with a higher heel or stretching more. It takes time. It occures in women more than men because of high heel usage.

hope this helps.

Chris
Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #8
Henry Adderley

Profile:

I did this exactly- switched to new balances from asics - much better now.
I also do Brent's book's shin splint exercises and loads more calf raises and stretches than I ever did before and it's all working - did 11 miles on Saturday - calves were a little tight the next day but nothing occurred on the run which is the biggest thing for me.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Nope, there's both anterior and posterior shin splints.

And what Chris said sounds about right if you're switching shoes and/or running technique.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Scott Norman

Profile:

Henry,
Thanks for starting this thread, I know it is old but hopefully I can get some replies without starting a new thread and waisting space.

I think I am having a similiar issue, but need better clarification.
I had Knee surgery in July 2009 (right Lateral Meniscus) that leg is coming back to form and feels good with very minimum issues, but my left leg (non-surgery leg) always seems to have some kind of issue. Went from calf, to hip and now back to calf (not all immediatly following each other, but over a couple of months) Sometimes I think it may be caused from over compensating on my left leg for months while my right healed.

Ok now to the point.
I am getting pain in my left calf, from the upper middle down to the lower outside calf. Almost feels like a full muscle fiber/stran. I have full range of motion, walk fine, and I can run but it starts to become discomforting. My calf is not tight and does not have pain all the time, I can stand on my toes with no problems and do other various calf exercises and daily activities utilizing my calf muscle and have no issues. It starts when I run. I have been running for over 7 years on a regular (minus my recovery time) and it does somewhat feel like a shine split but in the back of my calf, but according to the figure provided my pain seems like it is higher than the circled area, but i am not ruling out that it could be a shine split after the data provided.
I also had an issue with my right outside calf prior to having surgery but beleive it may have been due to the meniscus tear that I ran on for like 2 years without knowing it. I went to Doc for it and he stated compartment syndrone and told me to swim for cardio for a few weeks, which i did and was probably in better shape and then a walk to run profile, starting out with a 27min walk and 3 min run and progressing 3 mins off the walk and added to the run as the weeks went on, and i was fine after that. Has anyone ever heard anything about compartment syndrone, or am I overly concerned.