CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-23-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
Nate Myers

Profile:
Wearing a Pro Mask during exercise

Can anyone explain the benefits of this? I've heard a few explanations, involving VO2 Max, Lactate Threshold, etc. But have been unable to find anything about it, explaining exaclty what it does, or rather, what exactly is going on internally that makes oxygen deprivation/ labored breathing during exercise beneificial. Would wearing a pro-mask during a crossfit workout, every so often, improve the effectiveness, or improve a certain aspect of the workout more? Just curious, thanks for any input!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: Wearing a Pro Mask during exercise

Don't know exactly what kind of mask you're talking about, but I'd imagine if someone is involved in a sport or is a firefighter, training in whatever mask they need to wear when they have to perform would benefit them, because they'd be used to exertion in such a state, instead of getting to game time and having a completely different environment to deal with.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Mike Prevost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Myers View Post
Can anyone explain the benefits of this? I've heard a few explanations, involving VO2 Max, Lactate Threshold, etc. But have been unable to find anything about it, explaining exaclty what it does, or rather, what exactly is going on internally that makes oxygen deprivation/ labored breathing during exercise beneificial. Would wearing a pro-mask during a crossfit workout, every so often, improve the effectiveness, or improve a certain aspect of the workout more? Just curious, thanks for any input!
Are you talking about respiratory muscle training? If so, some small benefits have been demonstrated. One theory is that it trains the diaphragm to use lactate more efficiently.

Mike
Old 08-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Jeff Peters

Profile:

Well, this is my first post and it's on something I might be able to shed some light on. First, I am an LEO here in Md. I don't know of any fitness reason to wear a pro-mask while working out. If you have to wear one, I would recommend giving it a try. Most cops are issued them and they never wear them when under stress. We mobilize several times a year and practice riot control formations but no stress is usually involved. I went to a training class several years ago and they made us wear all of our tac gear and go for a run wearing the mask. It was an eye opener. The mask fogged over and I really has to fight the urge to rip the mask off to get a good lung full of air. The point of the training is to get you to not remove the mask in a contaminated environment.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Tim Weller

Profile:

I try to wear my full SCBA during workouts for a few reasons(on occasion). one its an extra weight of like 40 lbs, 2 because its a bit harder to breath or at least you have to control your breathing rhythm, and 3 because I'm trying to compete in the firefighter challenge. but anyways i think it helps you to control your breathing, but i would not go out of my way to get a mask and wear it at the gym. thats just me
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Steven Bowser

Profile:

I am guessing maybe you are talking about the mask that athletes wear in the NFL to open their nose to get more oxygen into their lungs. Dont know much about them but trying to get my wife to wear one to keep her from snooring all freakin night.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

well look at it like this. if you train in higher altitudes where it is more difficult to breathe and then come down to lower altitudes and race you will race faster.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Ed Haywood

Profile:

He's talking about a Protective Mask, aka a gas mask.

Military has a similar training requirement. We play basketball, do short runs, as well as run assault courses and the like.

The intent is to familiarize you with your limitations when wearing the mask, and get you psychologically used to the feeling of constrained breathing. Some guys freak out when they stark sucking wind through the mask, and in extreme cases will panic and tear it off. That would be a bad thing to happen in a riot or a chemical attack. Better to find out during training.

I doubt there's much physical conditioning value, especially since it is done so infrequently. Now for firefighters, who must function all the time in their breathing apparatus, and presumably train often in it, perhaps that is a different story. But I still think it's more a matter of getting you accustomed to work conditions. I see no reason for a civilian to train with a pro mask, not until you see olympic athletes training with them.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
Dustin Valdez

Profile:

If you watch UFC at all Wanderlei Silva does a workout similar to what you are talking about. He works out breathing only through a snorkel, and with his nose plugged. I believe itís called an oxygen deprivation workout. There are a few videos of his workout online. Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #10
Ken Thynes

Profile:

I think to have and real benny's, you'd have to use a pro mask on a regular basis. I have done a few humps with them, and it's definitely an interesting experience from the norm. Are you training to be Spetsnaz ?