CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Luke Hitt

Profile:
Plantar Fasciitis from Merrells??

I've been running barefoot/pose for about 18 months and love it, mostly in five fingers and saucony kinvaras. A few months ago I tried some Merrell trail Gloves, which have a very high arch. Now I feel like I have plantar fasciitis, where the bottom of my feet hurt in the mornings or after sitting for a while. Anybody else experienced this problem with those type of shoes? Better to go back to VFFs or more traditional running shoes that would take some strain off the feet? Thx
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: Plantar Fasciitis from Merrells??

I have very limited exposure to barefoot shoes, but I can tell you that they are not for me. I tried it for a while doing various distances of running and WOD's, but found that my feet hurt all the time. ALL the time. I really liked the feeling of the merrell's. They are so light and feel great, but I just cannot wear them.

One day my coach suggested that I go to a running store to get some "proper" running shoes because my running was so bad. It had gotten where I couldn't run a mile without leg/heel/foot pain.

I went to a local store called Runner's High. I always thought shoes were pretty much shoes, but I was told that I'm wrong, and he proved it!

I took off my shoes (I was wearing Nike Free's) and he immediately said "NOPE. NOPE NO. Those Nikes will not work for you, and you should not be wearing barefoot shoes. Your requires requires support."

He sold me a very expensive pair of Asics and I began running a little bit at a time. I'll tell you what - I went back and bought two more pairs, and now I can run as much as I want. Even a 2-3 mile run causes no pain.

So, long story short, I know that Kelly Starlett and others endorse the barefoot deal, but it wasn't gonna work for me!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

The people I've known who have had plantar fasciitis didn't wear 'barefoot' shoes. So my guess would be--it depends.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Reuben Bakker

Profile:

I've been wearing the Merrell Road Glove 2 for 6+ months almost daily, with plenty of running and WOD's 5x a week and have not had any issues. In fact my feet feel better than they have in years.

I agree with Glenn though - it probably depends on too much to be able to just blame it on a shoe. I'd try switching for a while to see if the discomfort goes away.