CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Gymnastics Hand Protection

Many years ago when I was in high school, the gymnasts wore what looked to be a thin leather strip on their hands, presumably to protect them from ripped caluses etc., and maybe to enhance the grip on the high bar etc. Has anyone tried them for kipping pull-ups? What's the lowdown on using them for CrossFit stuff in general?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics Hand Protection

You could use them if you wanted to, but I don't know of anyone who does. I've never had a problem with my hands after kipping (only once, and that was because I slid off the bar and pinched an unsanded callous between my hand and the bar); and most advocate that sanding callouses down helps prevent any injuries.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Dave Henry

Profile:

you could use them to protect your hands, but toughening your hands is part of the process. The gymnastics grips are designed to reduce friction and make it easier to grip. If you choose to use them you will be choosing to have a weaker grip and than Rx'd. If you have damaged hands, I would say tape them or rest them. If you get into gymnastics and are doing something like a giant (kipping 360 degrees around the bar go for grips) I do gymnastics(for over a year) and haven't got to the point where my grip is failing, but strength is there yet on rings or highbar.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Toughening your hands is part of the process, however even with grips you'll rip. Even kipping like a crazy man, you're not generating nearly as much for force as any gymnastics swinging through the bottom, well at higher levels.

Part of caring for your hands is knowing when they are gonna rip and need to cool off and laying off them. Some of the workouts have a ****eload of swinging however.

Given the normal outside steel bar, I'd tape up and chalk since those things are slippery as heck.

Gymnastics grips are designed more to enhance grip than reduce friction and be soft on the hands. It's more of a complimenting advantage.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Great, thanks for the help. It came up because 4 of us were at the gym the other day, all with torn caluses. We'll pass on the leather things, and learn to manage the caluses better.