CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Michael Lindsey

Profile:  
Ok, so for a while I've been eating a kinda modified version of the Warrior Diet. If I'm hungry before work in the morning, I'll have either some homemade oatmeal or an scrambled eggwhites, depending on what I have a craving for.

Then, I'll take a chicken breast or sliced turkey to work with me, as well as a spinach salad. I'll munch if I get hungry, then eat a big (usually) clean meal when I get home.

Yesterday, I did Linda, and came home STARVING. I ate a chicken breast and a salad, was still hungry. Polished off the last few slices of turkey... no good. The girlfriend and I made some homemade pizza with whole wheat flour, chopped veggies, mozzarella cheese, and chicken. Ate a quarter of it, and was STILL hungry. So I had some peanut butter, since I started craving it. (Not the healthiest, yeah... but I was cravin' hardcore.)

This morning, I felt better than I expected to, given how hard the workout was. But I was still hungry, and ended up eating another quarter of the pizza before work. Now I'm at work and so hungry, I've got a headache and can't think about anything but food.

Will y'all give a newbie some advice, here? I've usually been getting good results with the diet I was on, without having to supplement at all... but I'm wondering if this Crossfit thing is going to make me re-evaluate that. Because if this is how I'm going to be burning fuel on a regular basis, my usual diet just isn't going to cut it.

Old 07-24-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I am a newbie here at Crossfit, also. However, this is where my critical thinking comes into play in regards to The Warrior Diet.

I am not a big fan of that diet, from what little I did read. I think you need energy throughout the day and you cannot rely almost exclusively on your body fat to do that. Then, to eat like a ravenous dog at the end of the day just doesn't seem right.

I also do not agree with the conventional wisdom of the many people who devised our "Nutritional Pyramid."

However, I will gladly take the advice of someone who has a Ph.D. over some guy who seems to have the "Golden Ticket" to great weight loss by doing something completely out of the ordinary.

Many health magazines or articles related to health advise eating relatively smaller meals more times throughout the day. This seems to be a better way about going through things.

I tend to agree more with Dr. Barry Spears and his Zone Diet. I do not like it much because I am always hungry, but I've only been trying it out since Thursday and today is only Sunday. In fact, today is the only day where I haven't cheated...YET!

I do not think that your regular diet is going to "cut it" if you go with a crossfit program. Even though I eat much closer to "normal" than someone on the Warrior Diet, I find myself real hungry most times after a WOD.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
Jason Berger

Profile:

check out "four meals a day" from July 5 at www.artdevany.com for some reasons to not eat many regular meals.

As for your food problems... I'm eating a paleo diet with intermittent fasting and it's working great. Sometimes 24hours go by without food and with 2 workouts and my body does just fine. When I did the warrior diet I had the same reaction as you did and even at the beginning of my paleo phase I found myself binging. Then I cut out ALL GRAINS and it made a world of difference. I can't even begin to describe it.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Kyle Short

Profile:  
I have been following Paleo for about 2 weeks and though I have lost body fat, it is reallllllyyyy getting hard for me. I just keep craving anything and everything that I can't eat...more importantly, I crave *heavy* foods like those with cheese, cream and dense carbs.

It seems like a great diet but I am struggling :-)
Old 07-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #5
Matt McManmon

Profile:

I think the zone diet is the best way to go if you have enough patience for a strict diet.

I follow the lazy mans diet. Basically, know whats good for you, and know what you shouldnt be eating. Then eat asmuch as your heart desires. If your filling up on the right stuff while crossfitting, then your on a one way ticket to lowerbody fat and a better performance.

but, If your really determined to lose body fat quicky then start eating mroe fruits and vegatables. add lots of olive oil to your salads(will fill you up) and cut out all grains products. every 4-5 days have one day of asmuch grain products as you want. walnuts and almonds are another good source of proper fat.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Is that right about olive oil? I thought you were supposed to use it in moderation. I hope you are, I love the stuff.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
Zach Nikka

Profile:

kris, i like the points you make about the warrior diet. i was following it for awhile, but just as micheal said i just didnt feel that great doing it. i honestly dont think it compliments our active lifestyle. another example of "a guy with a Ph.D" over "a guy who has the secret" would be loren cordain, the doctor who wrote the paleo diet. she at least suggested breakfast lunch and dinner.

kyle, keep at it man it gets easier. words of encouragement :-) . i would also suggest reading the actual book if you havent already. its easier to follow if you know exactly how bad for you grains and all that is
Old 07-26-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Zach, Cordain is a male. :wink:
Old 07-26-2005, 07:20 AM   #9
William Hunter

Profile:
Matthew, many people advocate using "copious amounts of olive oil" on a daily basis. Dan John even sips it throughout the day (which I have tried but can't seem to do it consistently). It may be one of the keys to staving off the starvation feelings.

Also, let's face it, if your BF level is not where you want it to be (I'm not quite there yet either) then you're going to have work through some unpleasantness. I keep telling myself that it will be easier to maintain BF levels than reducing it.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #10
Zach Nikka

Profile:

HAHA, i knew that.....well his name is LOREN come on now hahaha