CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Ross Turpin

Profile:
I have been doing crossfit for the past year and am wanting to start training for a martial art. i like muay Thai because of the contact and the fact that i come from a boxing background, and i don't like grappling. I haven't been able to find anywhere around here (Lawrence, KS) to learn. Is there any directory of schools or trainers, because i can't seem to find one. I was also wondering if there were any other similar disiplines that i should consider. Thanks Ross
Old 09-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
San Shou or San Da is similar - it's like Muay Thai, but with Judo throws tossed in, but will probably be even harder to locate than Muay Thai. You might want to look though, just in case!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Joe Beman

Profile:
I recently started muay thai and love it. Problem is, the instructor that runs the school has a: no hard sparring until your invited to the "advanced class" policy and that takes a year sometimes.

This is the only school in my area that is certified by Thai Boxing association of the USA.

In a way, I like the fact that he wants technique to be perfect. He is uncompromising about that! "Your left hand was down, give me five more. You didn't pivot, give me five more" I hear as I bang on pads. He also wants the conditioning to be there, but I feel like my conditioning is pretty good (thank you crossfit).

As far as "light sparring" goes, we don't do that but we do a lot of drills where people swing focus mitts or thai pads and we have to block and counter. And that's fine, becasue in light sparring, your never quite sure where the line is drawn.

So, in a way, I appreciate the fact that he insists that you do everything right and hone technique before you start banging, but a year???

What do you folks think of that? Is this over the top nitpicking or just sensible insistance on perfecting the fundementals??
Old 10-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I can understand wanting students to have a vocabulary of techniques before jumping into sparring, but to me a year seems like a long time. And quite frankly, nothing is going to help you learn to hold your left hand up better than getting nailed repeatedly with real punches and kicks! lol!

By the same token, people do have a tendency to throw all technique out the window and turn into girlie-fighting-cavemen when they first spar, so maybe for him, this is what's helped him get people through that stage more quickly.

Both the schools I've trained striking arts at, San Da and Muay Thai, never made me wait that long though. At both schools I was sparring within a few months. And in both instances the way the school worked was that the instructor would watch students in class and approach people individually that they felt were ready and invite them to spar.

I think if you focus on drilling for too long, especially if they're not "live" drills, that it turns too much into a traditional martial art kung fu situation, and you might as well be doing kata.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Cutis Stout trains out of Kansas City. I'll try to dig up the contact info.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
Joe Beman

Profile:
Becca, some of the drills we do involve a feeder swinging focus mitts (tonight, it was gloves) and we had to block, or block and counter. Is this what you mean by "live drills"? The pucnhes and kicks from the feeder are random and not in a predictable pattern.

Tonight was my 5th class. I'm beginning to see how these drills are helping me learn skills and develope insticts that will help me when I finally do spar. . . . .hopefully in under a year.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Joe, here's a link to a video of Matt Thornton of Straight Blast Gym -- he spends the first four minutes explaining his take on live drilling:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22756738846126
Old 10-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Ted Williams

Profile:
I wouldn't expect to be sparring within 5 days of training...its just not realistic. Not sure how your gym operates, but if you're doing pad drills already, I would be happy with that. You need to focus on your form and flow first, then move into sparring. Becca is right on, if you get in the ring too early you're brain with revert back to self defense mode and you'll likely slap and paw, forgetting what you've learned. Remember, MT is a sport, and will take time to develop muscle memory for it. To me, what you are dealing with is akin to learning the overhead squat with a dowel first, then light weight, working up to heavier weight. If you just jump in with the heavy weight you'll either drop it on yourself or fall over (or a combination of the two).

Not sure what you mean by blocks...catching kicks with your shins (blocking)?

That reminds me, we always start people out with either boxing or leg sparring (just kicks) before going to full sparring...it helps focusing on just specific areas.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
Joe Beman

Profile:
Ted, that is identical to the explanation my instructor gave me? LOL He used squats for his example. I agree 100 percent. What I am doing is totally appropriate for now and for at least a few months. But waiting a year may halt progress and my goal is to get good at a new sport

By blocking, I mean blocking round-kicks with the shin, and blocking punches to the head and body with the forearms tight to the head or body. Perhaps my terminology is wrong.

For now I'm going to continue going to class and practice technique as instructed. I enjoy the school so far. After three months (that's how much I paid for), I'll evaluate whether or not I want to remain at that school or try one with a more liberal sparring policy.

Thank you Ted and Becca for your insight. I welcome your comments

I'll jump off this thread now.

Later,
Joe
Old 10-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
Ted Williams

Profile:
Joe - no worries, was just trying to clarify by what you meant as blocks. Makes sense.

Hmm, I'd suggest that maybe the year rule is set by your instructor for some liability reasons. If you think about it, the decision should really rest upon each individuals abilities, not how long they've been training. Ask him if you can just come a couple more times, then wait out the year to spar...see what he says :biggrin: You get what I mean...