CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Matt Mendes

Profile:
Padding on pull up bar.

I just got a power rack (cage). The crossbar for pull ups is metal but it is not smooth . It has knurled areas. I looked at a few pictures on this site and didn't see anyone doing their pull ups on a bar like this. It hurt my hands pretty bad... Am I supposed to just tough this out? If not what can I use to pad it just enough to take the shredding of my hands out of it?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Martin Schap

Profile:
Re: Padding on pull up bar.

I used to do all of my pull-ups on a knurled bar. Never really bothered me, but maybe yours is worse. You could try athletic tape. I have that on my doorway bar because when my hands get sweaty I just slide right off.

Or you could try to smooth it down with a polisher attachment on your drill.

Also, on many power racks the pull-up bar is removable. Any chance of contacting the manufacturer to see if they offer a smooth bar?

Last edited by Martin Schap; 02-20-2008 at 04:39 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

You could also try wrapping it in tennis racquet or handlebar tape. It's easier on the hands, absorbs some sweat, and has tacky feel for better grip. I used tennis racquet tape on my rings and I love it.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Matt Mendes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Bigongiari View Post
You could also try wrapping it in tennis racquet or handlebar tape. It's easier on the hands, absorbs some sweat, and has tacky feel for better grip. I used tennis racquet tape on my rings and I love it.
For anyone else who searches this thread I went out and bought the tennis racquet grip tape and it works the best. Its tight enough to the bar where you aren't loosing anything in that area, its basically just buffering your hands from getting shredded. Good stuff, thanks Eva!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Martin Schap

Profile:

I have bike handle wraps on both sets of rings. Very similar idea. Don't know why I never thought of it on a pull-up bar. Great stuff. Way to go Eva!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

I have bony hands, so I've tried a lot of different techniques to protect them. Tennis racquet tape has worked the best so far. Athletic tape just wasn't designed to work as grip tape.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Mark McFarland

Profile:

I've used racquet grips - but, what worked best for me is those little sponges that you wash dishes with (not the ones with the scratchy stuff). They absorb sweat, pad the bar and you can alter your grip width...they work great for me...
Old 02-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Michael McLeish

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Bigongiari View Post
I have bony hands, so I've tried a lot of different techniques to protect them. Tennis racquet tape has worked the best so far. Athletic tape just wasn't designed to work as grip tape.
Doesn't the racket tape subject your hands to tears pretty quickly with the added grip?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mcleish View Post
Doesn't the racket tape subject your hands to tears pretty quickly with the added grip?
The added grip from the racket tape is not enough to really pull on the skin in my experience. I guess it all depends on the tape you buy. Some brands are stickier and more aggressive than others. I forget which brand I bought. Racket tape also holds on to chalk pretty well. Since my garage isn't climate controlled, on hot days I have to use chalk because of sweat making my grip slippery. Though I don't use loads of chalk, the racquet tape has become well seasoned with it.