CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
Isaac Lee

Profile:
Starting tiny; does it still work?

I'm working towards opening an affiliate. I want to start very small just like the CF-L1 handbook details via Glassman'a starting model.

In your opinion, is this still viable in a day and age where CrossFit has matured and people expect a polished box bustling with members and equipment?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Dustin Twiggs

Profile:
Re: Starting tiny; does it still work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Lee View Post
I'm working towards opening an affiliate. I want to start very small just like the CF-L1 handbook details via Glassman'a starting model.

In your opinion, is this still viable in a day and age where CrossFit has matured and people expect a polished box bustling with members and equipment?
I honestly can't say, personally. But I hope so. I think I'd like to do the same thing. I've been in the game for about 6 years and I love it but the business of Crossfit seems to have changed so much. every box now seems to be about 1/3 crossfit and 2/3 add-ons. The things I see people adding on appeal to that "95%" I think. Yoga is a standard. Cardio, kickboxing, so many other things.

I want a clean gym yes, but I miss the gritty feel of a whiteboard with RX standards, scores, and people who want to sweat. A lot of the boxes I'm seeing now seem more like Curves, with barbells.

So I'm making my own gym. Will it ever get approved to be an affiliate? I dont know. Will it profit...? don't know that either. I just know that these gyms have too much fluff for me.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

It can be done.

If you have a large well established Affiliate near by it will be harder.

You will most likely have to build your membership from people with no CrossFit experience. This solves the not having a big shinny box problem. Your members won't know what you don't have.

Be a great coach. Get people good results. Build a friendly supportive community.

Keep your day job.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Kathy Blasko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
It can be done.

You will most likely have to build your membership from people with no CrossFit experience. This solves the not having a big shinny box problem. Your members won't know what you don't have.

Be a great coach. Get people good results. Build a friendly supportive community.

Keep your day job.

Yes - this. We have a small box. We focus on the basics and in my area - there are quite a few establish boxes with big memberships and with regional and Games competitors. Our closest box is one half mile north. It's a great box and appeals to a different clientele.

We are under 2 years old and by month 6 - we were already meeting our overhead. BUT - my husband who runs the box - still is not taking a salary. We live off my income for now (I work in Corporate America - yuk!) and he is able to get some income from personal training fees.

We have one yoga class a week taught by a local instructor that focuses on YIN - which is more a mobility style movement that focuses on joints and range of motion. We offer two half hour mobility classes taught by our two newer L1 coaches who still do not coach a class yet on their own (they are experienced CFers - one was a personal trainer before - even though they have their L1 for a year -- they are just about ready to coach the smaller classes alone).

As Brendan stated - we tend to appeal to the person who was either afraid of CrossFit or newbies overall. They don't know what to expect from some of the more successful and slicker boxes (not a diss to those places - they are top notch affiliates for who we have a lot of respect for)...but we are pretty grassroots and have no bells and whistles. A clean facility that has a great community to it. We are not looking to make a name for ourselves by sending someone to the Games...would it be nice? Sure...but my husband's mantra is he wants to see ordinary people do extraordinary things...to be stronger mentally and physically than they were yesterday.

We did not expect to make expenses in our first 6 months but we did expect a good 5 years before we were profitable.

I think it is doable as long as you have a passion for people, passion for the real CrossFit as it was intended.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Kathy Blasko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
It can be done.

Keep your day job.

Yes - this. We have a small box. We focus on the basics and in my area - there are quite a few establish boxes with big memberships and with regional and Games competitors. Our closest box is one half mile north. It's a great box and appeals to a different clientele.

We are under 2 years old and by month 6 - we were already meeting our overhead. BUT - my husband who runs the box - still is not taking a salary. We live off my income for now (I work in Corporate America - yuk!) and he is able to get some income from personal training fees.

We have one yoga class a week taught by a local instructor that focuses on YIN - which is more a mobility style movement that focuses on joints and range of motion. We offer two half hour mobility classes taught by our two newer L1 coaches who still do not coach a class yet on their own (they are experienced CFers - one was a personal trainer before - even though they have their L1 for a year -- they are just about ready to coach the smaller classes alone).

As Brendan stated - we tend to appeal to the person who was either afraid of CrossFit or newbies overall. They don't know what to expect from some of the more successful and slicker boxes (not a diss to those places - they are top notch affiliates for who we have a lot of respect for)...but we are pretty grassroots and have no bells and whistles. A clean facility that has a great community to it. We are not looking to make a name for ourselves by sending someone to the Games...would it be nice? Sure...but my husband's mantra is he wants to see ordinary people do extraordinary things...to be stronger mentally and physically than they were yesterday.

We did not expect to make expenses in our first 6 months but we did expect a good 5 years before we were profitable.

I think it is doable as long as you have a passion for people, passion for the real CrossFit as it was intended.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #6
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Blasko View Post
by month 6 - we were already meeting our overhead. BUT - my husband who runs the box - still is not taking a salary.

the more successful and slicker boxes (not a diss to those places - they are top notch affiliates for who we have a lot of respect for)...but we are pretty grassroots and have no bells and whistles. A clean facility that has a great community to it.

I want to echo your experience.

My wife opened a CrossFit gym in 2010 in a small town. The next nearest box was an hour away.

We financed $18,000 for equipment and found a really cheap warehouse space to rent a block off the main road through town - great location! The warehouse space was down the hallway around the corner from the nearest neighbor, so there were no complaints about noise. It really was a fantastic location.

In a few months there was enough income to meet all the debt payments and obligations, but no pay for my wife or the other two coaches. They all agreed to work for ownership in the LLC.

We loved the friendly feel of the gym.

After a year we moved to another state. My wife sold her half of the business to one of the gym members who had done his L1. She got paid enough to pay off the remainder of the debt, but no profit. So she worked for a year for no pay.

Since we left, the box doubled it's size twice. The coaches have a way to transport their equipment, so they go train the sports teams at the local high school. They're growing at their own location and reaching out to the community.

Now we live in Colorado. We tried out membership at a couple different boxes here that are big and well established. We didn't stay. We missed the community of the smaller box.

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 09-09-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Myself and 2 partners were looking for a boutique type of Crossfit facility. We looked around for a while and nothing that was workable for our needs in the price range and size (and who accepted CrossFit) was available. So enter the 6700 sf box we have now. Many of our ideas about costs were based on a gym that was 1/2 the size. More paint, flooring, art, equipment, rigs, rowers.. etc just to fill it up. So sometimes small is not available.

We were incredibly blessed with turns of events, our skill set, people who were waiting for us to open.... etc..

When I started out CrossFit I was disgusted by the weekend hours. We are open 8AM -12 Noon on Saturday with a free partner workout and also our Oly class. Sunday is open gym 9AM to 12Noon. Monday thru Friday 5:30AM to 1PM then 4PM to 8PM.

We have a fat burning class that I teach with the object of weight loss via depleting their energy systems. 110-120 pulse 60-75 min worth of rowing. That brought in some clients.

We have CrossFit Kids also.. very popular. We are blessed to have a wonderful coach for this.

Just started a meditation experience Every other Sunday evening.

Other reasons for our successes are- our name CrossFit Dark Side- people love it. Our shirts- people love the logo and from all over we get requests to purchase them. I own a steel fabrication shop and we built all custom racks and some storage. Our experience, our contacts, our abilities in Crossfit.. etc.

I believe that you have to factor in payment for your time or else its just a hobby.

In the thread they say that they made the overhead but have not paid themselves anything. Forcing this into the overhead is a must.

Opening a box from jump is a tough rode if some planets don't align.

I would look into purchasing a box that is all ready established. They have the possibility of being a better investment strategy.

I really don't know how people do it with opening a box and have a full time job. Mad respect to those who do it well.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58