CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Having just completed Barbara I feel totally unlike eating.It is 8.45 pm and I do not want a large meal.Also supplements are an expense I cannot afford.So what constitutes a good nutritional food to go to bed on .Maybe semi skimmed milk,bananas etc.Any ideas accepted .Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
2oz tuna w/ 1 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt, +
one apple with 2 tsp natural peanut butter and a big glass of water with lemon.

Oh yeah, and some fish oil to chase it!

(Message edited by gear on January 17, 2006)
Old 01-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Sounds interesting but can you explain the reasoning? Thanks!!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

Profile:
It's quick and easy, tasty, and it's balanced (2 blocks and ~3x fat). The apple is only a moderately high GI carb, which makes it perfect for right before bed, the Tuna is an excellent source of protein and omega-3's and it's cheap and convenient, natural peanut-butter is a good fat (to an extent) and it is my biggest weakness, and of course, you can't argue with olive oil and fish-oil caps!

(Message edited by gear on January 17, 2006)
Old 01-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Christian Hansen

Profile:
LOL I was going to post this topic. Good stuff. I wonder what a good cheap easy to find paleo sub for PB would be? I'm so used to just eating paleo where an apple and some almonds is fine that I tend to scratch my head looking for quick and easy protein.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #6

Profile:

PB sub - cashew, almond or macadamia nut butter - trader joes and similar places usually carry it
Old 01-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Guy,
What a coincidence...I just finished doing "Barbara" as well:biggrin:.

All kidding aside, I think you would be doing your body a huge disservice if you didn't take advantage of the 2 hour "window of opportunity" following your workouts. That is, assuming your goal is to change your body composition and promote optimal recovery.

Immediately after exercise, several unhealthy things can potentially occur to your body if the right nutrients in the right amounts are not present. First, consider what happens to your body after exercise. Following a workout, muscle glycogen levels are reduced, cortisol levels rise, protein breakdown increases, and muscle protein balance is negative. In other words, your body is in a catabolic state (losing muscle), screaming for nutrients to repair and rebuild the damaged muscle cells. Unless specific nutrients are taken, the problems persist for a few hours after the workout.

Fortunately, there is a way to reverse this catabolic nightmare and helps speed up fat oxidation, replenish glycogen stores faster (reduce muscle soreness and fatigue) and increase protein synthesis and net protein balance (builds muscle).

Although insulin has been negatively linked with carbohydrates and fat storage in recent years, it is perhaps one of the most important hormones for building muscle and synthesizing fat, when timed correctly. (Conversly, if you consume a high carbohydrate diet without exercising, insulin can quickly increase fat stores). BUT, if your goal is to change your body composition, spiking your insulin within the hour “window of opportunity” after a workout will offer you numerous benefits. As the goals after an exhausting weight training session includes replenishing muscle glycogen stores, increasing protein synthesis, and increasing fat oxidation...a carbohydrate/protein supplement in liquid form immediately following your workout is hands down and proven, the best way to take advantage of this metabolic window of opportunity.

You want a high-glycemic carbohydrate, along with a high quality whey protein supplement at this time. The combination of the two synergistically produces a strong insulin response and rapidly brings the body back into recovery mode.

Lastly, I know many people will disagree with my above post...but I'm only suggesting to you what has worked for me. If your afraid your body will not tolerate high gi carbs very well, you can substitute with a lower gi carb such as oats, brown rice, kashi cereal, etc.
Whatever you choose, I would definately eat a good solid nutritious meal within an hour of your workout. There is probably no better time of the day to eat, if your working out hard and concerned about your body composition.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck,
Steve

(Message edited by Steve_liberati on January 17, 2006)
Old 01-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I have begun to doubt the efficacy of the nutrient timing prescription of high-GI carb/protein after a workout that takes 20 minutes. It seems that the glycogen replinishment is more useful after longer efforts where muscle glycogen is fully tapped out.

Here is just one of many topics here on the boards that speaks of this discrepency:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/7580.html
Old 01-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Jesse,
I know post-workout nutrition is an on-going debate around here. I wish there was a clear cut answer on this but unfortantely there is not. The only thing we have to go off of is personal experience. Following the CrossFit program now for a little less than a month, the results have only been positive so far.

Grant it, one month is not enough time to draw a conclusion about the Nutrient Timing prescription on the CrossFit program, but as time passes, I will continue to take notes and make the necessary changes as I see fit.

I hope you don't take this post the wrong way. I appreciate your input and glad you posted. Just wanted to try for myself before I stop drinking my beloved liquid candy shake after my workout.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Speaking about the post-WO window, I was rather intrigued by Larry's comments the other day about that window actually lasting longer than we might think...

I sure hope that's true!;-)