CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #21
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

Quote:
However, how often should I do these, and when? Every day before I do my WOD? Every other day? 2-3 times a day? Any recommended amount of sets / reps? (obviously it's going to be very light weight)
Usually 2-3 times a week after your workouts.

If they are fairly weak when you're starting out I would go about 3 sets of about 15 or so. Basically gotta get them working first with higher reps and then you can switch to strength work for them later with lower reps heavier weight if you want. After a couple weeks at 15 go heavier and drop down to about 8-12 reps. Then if you want after a couple more you can go a bit heavier with about 5-6 reps or so.

Quote:
Fourth, I must fix my posture. However, this is the part where I still need help. I know I need to work on my Rhomboids, but I do not know exactly what to do. What exercises other than Rows, how often, how many sets, light weight or heavy weight, etc?
Squeeze them together even when you are just going about your daily activities. Make sticky notes at the computer telling you to do this. Whatever. I virtually fixed my own rounded shoulders within a week instead of having to do PT or whatnot by just focusing on doing it ALL the time. I was mega sore at first especially in the back but now my body is used to it, and I do it without thinking.

Anything that has scapular retraction works... rows, front lever pullups work, the top part of pullups, squats (ironically), bench press (the correct way). Same thing if they're weak like the RC. Start with higher reps and then work your way into the strength range.

In my opinion if you can do deadhang muscle ups (or even muscle up negatives) for high reps these are the BEST exercise for both external rotators and rhomboids. It's specifically the transition that hits it so kipping through the whole thing won't help you much.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #22
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: Avoiding shoulder injuries, and fixing them - What's the best course of action?

This seems the best place for this post. I read every thread on shoulders and try to learn from everyone. This includes the injured, and the experts alike. I've completed 7 weeks, and usually my shoulders recover well. I've been paying attention to my posture, and avoiding most risks. But - I've overdone it on Bench Press. I did them twice in the same week, the second one being on Lynne. I have a history of rc issues with impingement. This time, I've got clicking in my left shoulder and deeper pain than in the past. Sometimes it throbs. I'm getting an appointment with the doc and a referral to a pt. She really needs to do a full diagnostic testing on me. I hope I'm not off upperbody for a spell. Maybe I just have to get off bench press for a few weeks. Pushups have been great, and shoulder presses have been fine also. I admit I've been experimenting with pullups on a straight bar with an under handed grip. Rings seem safer. Oops. I read all your advice, Steven. Sometimes my brain gets more rest than the rest of me.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

To clarify. Steven, it's a "You told me/us so" moment. Thanks for your good posts. Without them, I may have caused more trouble.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #24
Steven Low

Profile:

There's some critical stuff deep in the shoulder like the labrum and long head of the biceps so deep ache is generally not good. Clicking is usually associated with the labrum or bursas rubbing against something.. the fact that there's the deep pain may possibly indicate a labrum tear or something insidious like that.

Anyway, yeah. Hopefully it's nothing bad. How were you doing the bench? Flared elbows or elbows tucked at like 45 degrees (aka the correct way to bench)? If I were you I'd sub rings anytime bench comes up. Bench is generally not that great...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #25
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
There's some critical stuff deep in the shoulder like the labrum and long head of the biceps so deep ache is generally not good. Clicking is usually associated with the labrum or bursas rubbing against something.. the fact that there's the deep pain may possibly indicate a labrum tear or something insidious like that.

Anyway, yeah. Hopefully it's nothing bad. How were you doing the bench? Flared elbows or elbows tucked at like 45 degrees (aka the correct way to bench)? If I were you I'd sub rings anytime bench comes up. Bench is generally not that great...
I really need to check on that angle. I may have messed up there. No wonder ring push-ups are safer. I can't flare my elbows and keep stable on them. Clicking seems gone this morning. Maybe it's just a warning shot. I'm trying to sleep on my back as much as possible. I'm usually worry when I wake up to find I'm on a shoulder. Both tell me immediately "fowl". I gently stretched in a doorway this morning. It's one of my personal tests. Each shoulder has a different problem. I'm taking an extra day off to see how it is healing. Your previous post about there being more "underrecovery" than overtraining is particularly important here. I've suddenly gone from 2 days of weight training only to 5/2 with cf. 2 of those days are a modified SS. I'll probably switch to 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off. Thanks again for your advice.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #26
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, that's definitely too much too quickly. Your new schedule looks better at least until you adapt fairly well to that.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #27
George Holder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Tang View Post
dieselcrew has a great video on youtube for shoulder rehab protocol. there are many exercises on there i didn't know of that are important for the shoulder, and are often overlooked. take a look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec (wfs)
That is a great video but for proper rehab, the injured party needs to make a slight but significant addition to all of dieselcrews' internal/external rotation demos. The target arm needs to be stabilized in order to not require recruitment of the deltoids.

Place a rolled towel between your arm and the side of your chest to stabilize the humerus. This will focus the activity on the small muscles of the shoulder. The way that the guy in the video is performing the exercises requires the deltoids to stabilize the shoulder and renders the exercise another large muscle exercise and thus, pointless for RC rehab.

Also with those exercises where the humerus is oriented 90 degrees from the chest place your elbow on a towel resting on a table or stability ball, also for stabilization.

It is my understanding that external and internal rotations are considered mandatory exercises for everyone, not just people that are rehabbing. And always stabilized so that the proper muscles get worked.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #28
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Went to my chiropractor today for ultrasound and other light adjustments on both shoulders and upper back. Bursitis is very likely, and can't really tell if there's a small tear. I'll be back for another treatment on wednesday. Probably do just low body stuff that I need to work on tomorrow. Rest shoulders short time now or long time later. I hope I'm not off upper-body work to long. I miss my rings.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #29
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

I've never been to a chiropractor before, but a friend of mine has a friend who is one and has been treating his shoulder and ankle for awhile now. How much does the treatment cost typically, and do you think this is the best move for impingement/tendinitis? I've had a couple of steroid injections in my left shoulder, and now the right one is doing the same thing. I realize I need some rhomboid work to offset anterior deltoid/pectoral development I have.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #30
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Meyer View Post
I've never been to a chiropractor before, but a friend of mine has a friend who is one and has been treating his shoulder and ankle for awhile now. How much does the treatment cost typically, and do you think this is the best move for impingement/tendinitis? I've had a couple of steroid injections in my left shoulder, and now the right one is doing the same thing. I realize I need some rhomboid work to offset anterior deltoid/pectoral development I have.
Today's visit cost me $50. Do you have a physical therapist who would also give you treatments like ultra sound, electro-simulation, and specific exercizes for your unique shoulder concerns. Impingement is (in a way) a symptom of something like uneven strength. Strengthening your rhomboids is one important part. Tendinitis may require some rest and other treatments. Sometimes people post a diagram of where exactly the problem is on your shoulder. Where is the impingement/tendinitis? How is your posture? Do you sleep on your shoulders? Our experts here can give you some good info. My "expertist" is experiential. I do rhomboid work and still have an overuse issue.
Good luck.