CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
Jason S Roth

Profile:
Since this past January I'd been hitting the gym with the goal of gaining a good amount of muscle mass. I started at about 195-200lbs (I'm also 6'0") and have moved up to 220-225 lbs. I stopped hitting the weights at the end of March as I wanted to give my body a break from the routine and supplements. I've been in a slim down / cut up cycle for about 2 months with CF kicking my butt for the past 3 weeks!

From different articles I've read (muscle and fitness, mens health, and numerous website postings) I've taken in a lot of info regarding overall fitness, muscle gaining, and fat burning. So here are my dilemnas and I'm hoping someone can help. I loved the gains I made in the gym with the weights (also protein / creatine) and my overall body physique is close to where I want it. I also love the intensities of the CF metcon workouts because they're are extremely challenging! I want to hit the weights again and get to my ultimate physique goal while cutting down my bodyfat(I'm at 20%) to around 15%. Can I combine the CF metcon total body workouts and muscle gaining workouts into one program without overtraining???

As I understand it, there are two schools of thought when it comes to fitness. There's working out to lose weight(fat) and there's working out to gain weight(muscle mass). They seem to me to be two very different methods. Both methods, however, burn fat with just different time tables. So if I were to do a 20-30 minute CF metcon workout in the morning with a lifting session in the evening, would this drain my body too much of what is needed to gain muscle mass even with a high protein intake??

My supplement program consists of protein shakes and 1 creatine shake(post lift). My diet would be a high protein / low carb diet but not too low on the carbs as my body would need them to assist with growth and energy levels. Is this a smart overall approach or is it just plain crazy to combine the two styles of workouts??

Any and all advice is welcome and would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Metcon with strength training same day is a pretty sure way to overtrain. I'd recommend you split your week. 2-3 Metcon days, 2-3 Strength days. The Black Box ME is a similar plan. Do a search, there are a lot of threads on it.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Jason S Roth

Profile:
Thanks Roark. That's kind of what I figured but I thought I'd ask. I was going to substitute cardio with a metcon but I was a little worried about the consequences. I've looked at the Black Box ME approach earlier but it looked to be mainly leg workouts. My normal lifting routine would be a chest/back day, shoulder/leg day, and a bicep/tricep day. So if doing a metcon in the AM and lifting in the PM leads to overtraining, wouldn't splitting it up have the same affect as the muscles won't have time to rest/grow??
Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:
Jason, I'm curious as to why your goal is to gain all that weight?

Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:
How to build your own workout routine will help you. A lot.

w/f safe.
http://www.bodyweighttraining.org/fo...opic.php?t=794
Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
Jason S Roth

Profile:
George,
My goal is 230lbs and the reason is because I want the V shaped torso. In order to do that I have to gain lean mass to offset the italian / hawaiian genetics. My waist measures and as always measured at a 34 , and I figure about 5-10lbs of lean mass in my shoulders, chest, back, and arms would get me that shape.

Steven,
I've read your link before and it's a great. From what I understood, strength first then endurance which is the way I approached football and track awhile back. Like I said I love the challenging metcon workouts and was hoping that I could keep doing them in the place of cardio. Thank you for the advice though, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:
If you want a V-shaped torso start working the iron cross, lol. If you eat a lot while working the strength, the iron cross will inflate your lats and chest BIG time. For shoulders, planche progression on rings is definitely the quickest way IMO. Adding mass to the arms is just a crapload of compounds (military press, rows, dips, pullups) with maybe a few isolations thrown in.