CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Ben Joven

Profile:
How to stop butt wink end of squat?

Can't get past parallel without a butt wink.

Any stretches or anything I can do mobility wise that can help correct this...
Old 03-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Michael A. Jones

Profile:
Re: How to stop butt wink end of squat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Joven View Post
Can't get past parallel without a butt wink.

Any stretches or anything I can do mobility wise that can help correct this...
Ben,

Check this link and see if can help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8NBin68feY (WSF)

Michael
Old 03-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Ben, how is you mobility, how is your range of motion. strength, are you on your heels?

What can you do, what can't you do. That will help alot more.

In saying that. make sure your core (abs, back) are tight befor you even start the squat. Keep them tight and DO NOT surrender form through out the movement. Knees out from the TOP of the squat and keep them out through out the movement.

With out any other info, exercises that help mobility, is sitting in a squat WITH GOOD core and no butt wink, driving the knees out with your elbows for 1 min at a time, really focused on good form may help.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Ben, how is you mobility, how is your range of motion. strength, are you on your heels?

What can you do, what can't you do. That will help alot more.

In saying that. make sure your core (abs, back) are tight befor you even start the squat. Keep them tight and DO NOT surrender form through out the movement. Knees out from the TOP of the squat and keep them out through out the movement.

With out any other info, exercises that help mobility, is sitting in a squat WITH GOOD core and no butt wink, driving the knees out with your elbows for 1 min at a time, really focused on good form may help.
Thanks for the info!

In regards to mobility I have bad ankles from basketball, in regards to strength I can go 225x5 atg-but with a butt wink and spine curvature-I'm always driving through my heels...

Was doing "starting strength" for over a year, squatting three times a week and had my kid video tape my squat and noticed that once I'm passed parallel I got the butt wink.

I'm not even sure why this is bad, but from seeing video of myself it just seems like unnecessary stress on my lumbar.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
Kevin Keast

Profile:

I find keeping my pelvic floor consciously tight throughout the movement helps with butt wink. Hips back, knees out, bar over foot, everything from lats to obliques to pelvic floor to triceps to grip TIGHT from top of movement to bottom.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Keast View Post
I find keeping my pelvic floor consciously tight throughout the movement helps with butt wink. Hips back, knees out, bar over foot, everything from lats to obliques to pelvic floor to triceps to grip TIGHT from top of movement to bottom.
Thanks Kevin, will try this tonight.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #7
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

In regards to mobility I have bad ankles from basketball, in regards to strength I can go 225x5 atg-but with a butt wink and spine curvature-I'm always driving through my heels...

Was doing "starting strength" for over a year, squatting three times a week and had my kid video tape my squat and noticed that once I'm passed parallel I got the butt wink.

I'm not even sure why this is bad, but from seeing video of myself it just seems like unnecessary stress on my lumbar.
Ben, good info, If you still have a video, post it in the Digital Coaching section and I can have a look. But as far as ATG squat, thats fine. But, to go that deep you are surrendering you lumbar curve to get there. That has the potential to cause back strain.

try this. Get in our squat stance, tighten your core/back, set your spine with that little curve in your back and tighten it as tight as you can. Ok DO NOT LET THAT GO AT THE BOTTOM. Squat slowly as far as you can WITH OUT losing that lumbar curve, knees out chest up ect. I bet you hit parallel, if you do, that is as deep as you need to go. that is the limit of you ''good''form.

Work that squat getting muscle memory. Also work getting your hips hams, quads, and hams more range of motion to get lower.

Like I said, the butt wink compromises you spine putting you in a position to strain it or pull it especially under load.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Ben, good info, If you still have a video, post it in the Digital Coaching section and I can have a look. But as far as ATG squat, thats fine. But, to go that deep you are surrendering you lumbar curve to get there. That has the potential to cause back strain.

try this. Get in our squat stance, tighten your core/back, set your spine with that little curve in your back and tighten it as tight as you can. Ok DO NOT LET THAT GO AT THE BOTTOM. Squat slowly as far as you can WITH OUT losing that lumbar curve, knees out chest up ect. I bet you hit parallel, if you do, that is as deep as you need to go. that is the limit of you ''good''form.

Work that squat getting muscle memory. Also work getting your hips hams, quads, and hams more range of motion to get lower.

Like I said, the butt wink compromises you spine putting you in a position to strain it or pull it especially under load.
thank you thank you for this

tried it and it's the first time in a year only my hams, quads and (especially) glutes were in sore AND NOT my lower back.

Plus I can do way more weight...ha ha...so good for my lumbar and my ego +2!!

Last edited by Ben Joven : 04-15-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
thank you thank you for this

tried it and it's the first time in a year only my hams, quads and (especially) glutes were in sore AND NOT my lower back.

Plus I can do way more weight...ha ha...so good for my lumbar and my ego +2!!
Congrats Ben!! I am glad it helped.