CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #81
Jo Hsu

Profile:
Re: 14.3 funny thinking about it

I'm curious if anyone has any insight as to why they chose to disallow a sumo stance. I thought it was even included in the judge's course as a valid deadlift?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #82
Jacob Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Glad they've got more weight in there, but really high rep deadlift? Man, tens of thousands of people's backs will be WRECKED next week. And I expect quite a few tweaks, also.

CF gets a lot of flack for high rep o-lifts but I think this is way more dangerous.
More dangerous than putting a smaller joint (shoulder) at risk than a larger joint hip (granted moar low back for most of those that dl wrong)?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 PM   #83
Drew Watson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
35 DL's at 365 will be hard for anyone to finish. Especially after the round of 30 at 315 just prior. I see several people into the 365 round but not finishing. I foresee a lot of singles and not many reps strung together at that weight. Just my opinion.
When I first saw this i thought i would beast through it, but now im realizing ive done maybe 10 sets of heavy deadlifts that were more than 5 reps in my life.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #84
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hsu View Post
I'm curious if anyone has any insight as to why they chose to disallow a sumo stance. I thought it was even included in the judge's course as a valid deadlift?
Because that's what they decided, no other reason. And just because something was in the judges course doesn't mean it'll be in the open, the course is mandatory for regionals and games judges so it covers everything possible.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #85
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Glad they've got more weight in there, but really high rep deadlift? Man, tens of thousands of people's backs will be WRECKED next week. And I expect quite a few tweaks, also.

CF gets a lot of flack for high rep o-lifts but I think this is way more dangerous.
I can only imagine the chaos that is going to happen this weekend at boxes around the country. Think of how many news affiliates have been started in the past few years due to the explosion I crossfit. I travel a lot and I end up going to a nearby affiliate. Many of then are pretty new and the owner and coaches might simply have only level 1 cert and be fairly new I crossfit. I've sen a large decline in the quality of coaching and control coaches have over the movement quality of their athletes. People are watching Tovar and Pichelli round in their backs to blast through these deadlifts and not realizing these women are essentially competing at the highest level and can afford to round their backs since they're so strong, and they are professional competitors who also do this to pay the bills. I'm worried for the spines of crossfitters everywhere this weekend. I just hope coaches place emphasis on proper bracing and movement sequence.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #86
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Had a workout planned for tomorrow.

Now that workout is mobility lol.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #87
Jacob Burns

Profile:

LEARN HOW TO DEADLIFT PROPERLY. What's moar "dangerous". High rep weightlifting movement or high rep powerlifting movements?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #88
Steven Ngo

Profile:

i think what's going to happen to a lot of newbies (or rather people who haven't done high rep deadlifts to box jumps) is getting their shins slammed/scraped into the edge of the box.

i remember my first time, my legs felt perfectly fine going into the box jump after the high rep DLs and then that first jump i got only a couple of inches. there was absolutely no spring in the jump and rocked against the box. that was fun
Old 03-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #89
Jake Richards

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Richards View Post
2013 Regionals 13.5 was:

21-15-9
Deadlift 315/205 lbs
Box Jump 30/24 inch

Stacie Tovar came 2nd in North Central
Allesandra Pichelli came 1st in North Cal

That weight is heavy for the Open, but this is my best guess...
Oh... I picked it!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #90
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Increasing reps and weight is a recipe for disaster when you factor in fatigue from box jumps as well. I was cringing at some of Tovar's reps, she might be a high level crossfitter but that doesn't make her back invincible to poor form on heavier dead lifts. I am willing to guarantee there will be back injuries this weekend due to this workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Burns View Post
LEARN HOW TO DEADLIFT PROPERLY. What's moar "dangerous". High rep weightlifting movement or high rep powerlifting movements?
Um, both if your form breaks down on either. High rep, high weight any lift is asking for trouble.